Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658

    New question here. XT dual control levers with Magura Martha calipers...??

    Can this be done...??

    I remember reading about something similar somewhere but I can not find it to save my life, well at least the two run on mineral oil..

    Thanks for any advice

  2. #2

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Thanks senor Cobba I was sure I saw it somewhere but I was unable to find it...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Anybody know where I can get the "shimano" compatible parts like the banjo bolts, etc so I can continue with this experiment, better if is not full retail..

    thanks in advance

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    I'm having a hard time finding the Banjo fittings for the XT master cylinders, any ideas where to get them...??

  6. #6
    Just a flesh wound
    Reputation: Prophet Julio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    I got mine at the LBS for $19. I think the maker was Goodridge, but it replaced my leaking Shimano pre-crimped banjo without any problems. 6 months of trouble free operation since then.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I got mine at the LBS for $19. I think the maker was Goodridge, but it replaced my leaking Shimano pre-crimped banjo without any problems. 6 months of trouble free operation since then.
    Oh cool that is great info, i have not try a LBS only the internet.

    thanks for the advice

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94

    Magura Marta? or martha stewart?

    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding the Banjo fittings for the XT master cylinders, any ideas where to get them...??
    try this, cost a lot less than OEM.Pick the right hyflo quick fit adapter kit for Magura and then buy the quick fit hydraulic hose.Both brands use mineral oil so it should work.I run dual controls on all of my bikes, they work great for me Hydraulic Hose | Jagwire USA

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding the Banjo fittings for the XT master cylinders, any ideas where to get them...??
    do you mean banjo bolt fitting on the caliper? caliper is what houses and operates your brake pads master cylinder is up on your bar.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by tucoramirez View Post
    do you mean banjo bolt fitting on the caliper? caliper is what houses and operates your brake pads master cylinder is up on your bar.
    Master Cylinder at the handlebar, I need the banjo and the related hardware

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    that hardware on the master cylinder would be a olive and nipple fitting, the Magura caliper would need a specific hose kit that includes the banjo fitting, I assume you have the banjo bolt installed on your caliper.Grafting this together will take some research as you would need shimano fittings to the hydraulic master cylinder and Magura hose kit for the caliper connection.Jagwire has universal fittings thatv should work for your project.this link should help you?Universal Cycles -- Brakes & Parts - Disc > Magura Disc Brakes Parts

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    Magura marta caliper - Bing Images looking at this model of Marta it appears to have olive type fittings on both ends, is this like yours? contact universal cycles and they will help you get the right parts.They excel in obscure brake parts.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    this one has the banjo type fitting at the caliper, so many fittings!2012 Magura USA MT6 Disc Brake - Competitive Cyclist

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by tucoramirez View Post
    that hardware on the master cylinder would be a olive and nipple fitting, the Magura caliper would need a specific hose kit that includes the banjo fitting, I assume you have the banjo bolt installed on your caliper.Grafting this together will take some research as you would need shimano fittings to the hydraulic master cylinder and Magura hose kit for the caliper connection.Jagwire has universal fittings thatv should work for your project.this link should help you?Universal Cycles -- Brakes & Parts - Disc > Magura Disc Brakes Parts
    Gracias senor Tuco..

    Thanks for all the helpful information and the link, I will look into finding the parts but it look easier to just find a set of XT/XTR calipers and hose and go from there..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    oops

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by tucoramirez View Post
    Magura marta caliper - Bing Images looking at this model of Marta it appears to have olive type fittings on both ends, is this like yours? contact universal cycles and they will help you get the right parts.They excel in obscure brake parts.
    I will find the brakes and take a picture just for you, they came from a stumpjumper from about 2009 or so.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Hey senor Tuco I found a set of Saint brakes, will this Hoses/fitting fit on my STI levers...??

    Maybe I need to tell you the whole story, I'm getting a fat bike and I want to run the STI shifters on it since they will be great in the snow with big gloves, sadly I don't like grip shift and just your typical rapid fire don't work to well with mega gloves..

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    you would need the olive and brake hose insert for the dual control brake lever hydraulic connection.Each hose model needs a specific olive and brake hose insert, those parts may be included with your Saint calipers/hydraulic hose and your dual control levers.Call universal, they will hook you up with the right parts.as far as I know most if not all Shimano hydraulic calipers and brake levers are compatable.You would need hydro brake tools such as a hose cutter ( I use a Park convential steel braided cable cutter) and a a brake bleeding setup ECT. Grafting on different models or years can be a pain, but could save lots of pesos.The replacment Shimano hose kits are very expensive, as much as 60 bucks per wheel Universal Cycles -- Shimano Brake Hose Olive and Inserts

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94

    alternative?

    Jagwire makes universal kits if your stock parts will not work. Buying the Shimano calipers should be easier to connect to the dual control levers.Mine are LX and XT dual controls run to SLX and vintage 2004 XT calipers on my bikes. Universal Cycles -- Jagwire Universal HyFlow Hose Kits Universal Cycles -- Jagwire Hyflow Quick Fit Kits

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    this site lists all the original parts for dual controls ECT, so you know what hoses work or not with levers or calipers. Shimano

  21. #21
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,625
    FWIW, I run one dual control lever with the XT M785 caliper, BH59 hose, a bolt from BH90 hose (which failed in the banjo connection like many did) and an XTR 90d banjo. It works but the individual parts are expensive and IMHO not worth the effort of locating and putting them together. I would just try to find the older XT M775 calipers which are a breeze to set up with the dual control levers (BH59 + a pair of olives).

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    FWIW, I run one dual control lever with the XT M785 caliper, BH59 hose, a bolt from BH90 hose (which failed in the banjo connection like many did) and an XTR 90d banjo. It works but the individual parts are expensive and IMHO not worth the effort of locating and putting them together. I would just try to find the older XT M775 calipers which are a breeze to set up with the dual control levers (BH59 + a pair of olives).
    Man I need to learn so much about all this new stuff, in the old day a cable was a cable and a ferrule fit pretty much on anything..

    I will hunt for the parts you recommend.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94

    just got off work...tired

    The dual control levers go back to many years ago, so the original hydraulic hose and fittings were no problem.It is when you try to connect the newer calipers and hose with the old dual control levers, that is when thing get complicated.They tend to change the hydraulic hose and fittings every few years.The 765 calipers I bought for cheap are very difficult to find now, of course the 775,785s less so however they cost more. This is a great deal on calipers that should work with your dual controls, I would confirm that with CBO. you should consider having your LBS set you up with hydraulic hose and fittings for your dual controls and Marta calipers? could be the least expensive way to go if they think it is a good idea.Shimano Deore M595 Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper 100064057 at CambriaBike.com you want XT? thats good too.
    Last edited by tucoramirez; 09-26-2012 at 02:27 AM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    Shimano Deore M595 Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper 100064057 at CambriaBike.com this is essentially a re badged LX caliper, they work quite well on my Sette hardtail.
    Last edited by tucoramirez; 09-26-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •