Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT Dual control lever with Avid Mechanical DIscs?

773 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  StormShadow 
#1 ·
Anyone using this setup? Any problems? Am I better off with older rapidfire shifters and the Avid Speed Dial levers?

#2 ·
the_eleven said:
Anyone using this setup? Any problems? Am I better off with older rapidfire shifters and the Avid Speed Dial levers?
No one can say if you are better off with one or the other, that is purely a personal preference. I have that set up with the new XT "low-normal" rear derailleur. I have had absolutely no prbolems. I like to ride with my hands wide on the bars and the dual-control levers let me keep my hands out there while I shift and brake. When I first got my bike the first thing that I was worried about was accidentally shifting. That has never happened to me once. The levers have a little play before they engage the wires for shifting. There is no delay when you use the brakes though. Another fear I had was shifting if you hever had panic brake. This has never been an issue and I am comfortable with them so I don't see this being a big factor. I found the ergonomics of using your fingers to push the lever up and down totally natural. I love them and won't go back to rapid fire!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.