mtbr member

XT Disks, Free Stroke?

No matter which way I go with the "Free Stroke" screw or fiddle with the lever reach I get now difference in the lever travel. My XT brakes always seem to have no free travel at the lever at all. Anyone else have this issue?
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Maybe a coldness issue. In the german IBC bike forum there are many XT 08 users with the same problem with winter degrees. The pistons do not retract then as they should.

mtbr member
    What exactly does the freestroke do on my 08 xts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well I think that the way the servo-wave levers work the free stroke adjustment is not as pronounced as most think it should be. I think mine work correctly and didnt shorten the free travel, but most others state that is does not do anything.

mtbr member
    Yeah there's lots of adjustment but the only thing that seems to happen is the screw goes in and out with no difference at the lever.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The free stroke screw (silver on top of the brake lever) adjust the stop position of the piston of the brake lever. When you turn it out (effective only aproximateloy 2-3 turns) the lever piston is allowed to retraxct further and this means the brake lever will be more in the "servo wave" part during the beginning of the stroke of the lever, making it quicker for the pads to reach the disk. You can see this if you look at the small brass wheel on the under side of the lever and how it travels more or less side ways in the groove while you adjust the screw between the fully in or 3 turns out position. The more you turn the free stroke screw out, the further the brass wheel will travel in the groove sideways. This has the effect that there is less force, but faster travel, from the brake lever. I notice a clear difference especially if the brake pads are a bit worn out. With the screw 2 turns out, the pads reach the disk faster and I dont have to push the lever so close to the handle bar.

mtbr member
    Went riding today and the temps were right at the freezing range and the brakes were tight as hell. They felt like they had two gallons of fluid in them. As far as the free stroke I see very little change at all regardless where the screws are.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA