my church is the woods

XT discs not stopping like they used to.

It seems that after 4 years of use, my XT hydro discs just don't have the power they used to.
    I've tried new ECB pads and they still are lacking power. Do I need new rotors? I've cleaned them with brake cleaner and didn't help.

any suggestions?

Authority is dead!

doh, 4years!

Time for a new bleed, clean/lube pistons, new rotors! (jensonusa.com used to have them for 15$ I think).
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

galferusa
    Aug 2004

brake maintenence

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    It seems that after 4 years of use, my XT hydro discs just don't have the power they used to.
    I've tried new ECB pads and they still are lacking power. Do I need new rotors? I've cleaned them with brake cleaner and didn't help.

any suggestions?
    Do NOT use brake cleaner on rotors. It can leave behind a film that can interfere with good friction capabilities. It is designed to clean calipers. Clean your rotors with some 600 grit sandpaper and water or have them bead blasted. A bleed would definitely help (you should do it at least once a year) What color was the brake fluid? and new seals might be in order. Which EBC pads didi you get? You might want to try a pair of our Semi-metallics...all around better power, wear and feel.
    Galfer USA

my church is the woods

Still having problems

Thanks for the tips.

I replaced both rotors with new XTs and new XT resin pads. I also bled both brakes carefully folling the shimano instructions.

After a ride around the block, the front brake had almost no power and squeeled like a stuck pig. The rear one was quiet with some power, but not as much as normal.

So I re-bled again, this time I noticed on the rear lever, with the resivoir cover off, that when the lever was squeezed it would make tiny micro bubbles float into the resivoir. I could hear a little squishing sound in the lever plunger, so it appears that is the source.

The levers look like they are NOT user servicable at all. There looks like no way to disassemble anything to replace the leaky plunger.

any advice on what to do, or am I looking buying all new levers?

the front brake lever doesn't do this.....it just doesn't work and I can't figure it out.

Authority is dead!
    Bleed with lever reach adjuster all the way out. Pads need time to break in too as well as new rotor (if you have it).
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]