DenverFatdog
    May 2006

XT disc brake rub, pad in-balance

OK, I have given up on my XT brakes. One pad comes out, the other barely moves. As the pads wear, I have to constantly re-center the caliper, and by then, one pad is so far extended it's impossible to not have the brake pad rubbing 100% of the time on the brake housing. My rotors are straight, I've cleaned the pistons numerous times with alcohol/mineral oil while moving them in and out. I"ve bled the brakes. I even bought a new caliper/lever assembly, but the new set only worked a short time. My rear set works just fine, it's the front set with the problems. Has anyone else had this trouble with these piece of crap Shimano brakes?
    DenverFatdog

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    No. Mine work great. I still get a small amount of rotor rub especially after a long downhill (my Ice-Tech rotors frequently go slightly out of true. Fix it and it's gone, but it comes back.) but it doesn't seem to affect anything and the wheels spin freely. Sounds like you have had bad luck or maybe have something misaligned in your mounting. Think about it. The problem would be happening on both front and rear if it were inherent in the brakes. In my view the XT is a top-performing brake for the money and you should consider warrantying your front.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Yup send the front set back to Shimano for a replacement. Could be a manufacturing fault preventing one of the pistons from moving as intended.

I have had my M765 since 2006 and have not had to service them, granted they have not had much use since I built up my FS in 2008, which uses the M775 and they are still working fine.

mtbr member
    Just curious any updates on this problem? Did you fix the issue if so what was done? I'm sorta having the same issue, so thought I'd ask. I'm running the M785's.

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    I finally just send the caliper back to Shimano. Go on their website, get a warranty form, and send it in. No RA # required. As long as it's within 2 years of purchase, and you have a sales receipt, that's all they need. Attach a note describing the problem.

I sort of fixed the issue, temporarily. I push the pistons all the way back, and hold the moving piston back while pumping the brake a couple times. This extends the "froze" piston out some. Put the pads back in, recenter the caliper, and at least the thing is slightly better than before. Still, it's a pain. I'll see what Shimano does for me with a replacement.
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    I think I got mine fixed cleaning the piston with mineral oil last night with a qtip and workint the piston back and forth. Hopefully it stays that way as I dont have a receipt since I bought my set new off ebay and not from an actual shop.

Hopefully yours gets fixed.

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    I got mine on ebay, too. I resurrected the receipt thru my history of purchases file, and Shimano said that would suffice. Hope your mineral oil fix works. I tried that, along with 10 other things, but didn't work for me.
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    Oh, that's very good to know. Didn't think Shimano would accept that as a receipt.