mtbr member

XT Brakes adaptors

I hope I can explain this right.

Current Setup
    On my 2008 Fuel EX I have Avid Juicey 5s with 185mm rotor on front and 160mm on rear. The fork is a Fox F series with post mounts and a 185mm post to post mount adaptor.

New Setup
    I want to transfer my XT brakes onto this bike.

Question
    Given the XT brakes are post mount as well will they just bolt onto the existing adaptors and work with the existing 185mm/160mm rotors? Or will I need to buy the specific 180mm Shimano post-to-post mount and 180mm rotors?
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Probably not....

In most cases each manufacturers caliper is shaped a bit differently, the orientation of brakeline fittings may be different, etc. This usually requires a specific orientation of the caliper when mounted, plus rotor diameters between different manufacturers are not always exactly the same. Also rotor thickness with some brakes can be an issue some manufacturers use thinner rotors to save weight others thicker for longer life. Unfortunately the only "standard" applied to MTB disc brakes are the frame and fork mounts. So it's a crap shoot when you try to mix components like calipers, adapters, and rotors.

So all you can do is give it a try. Just be prepared to fork out for the Shimano stuff just in case you run into issues. I'd be inclined to at least have the appropriate Shimano adapters on hand as those are the two components that are least likely to be compatable between the two systems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

wyrd bi ful rd
    as squash has already pointed out ... sometimes they work ... sometimes they dont ... just got to give it a try.

from your post it looks like you already have the XTs on another bike and so it is just a matter of swapping and trying it out. try with the rear first, that way you will know if it works for the front as well.

if the calipers sit too low, just use some shims to adjust them slightly. you hope that they do not sit too high ...

BTW if the thickness of your Avid rotors are 1.6-1.9mm it will work ok with XT calipers assuming that the braking track is not too narrow on the Avid rotors. From what i have read, Shimano pads has the narrowest braking track around and so it should be ok.

have a look at the sticky on this forum ... there might already be someone who has that combination ...