mtbr member
    Jan 2008

XT Brake Leaking.

I have XT M785's on a brand new bike. The brakes were fantastic...until I got leaking from the rear brake onto the pads. I cleaned the pad and rotor and they were covered with fluid with 10 minutes or so again right away. I don't have time to take the bike in to the shop anytime soon and want to ride this weekend. I can't see where the fluid is coming from with the brakes installed, and have never serviced SHimano brakes. Are there some things I can check on the brake, that may be an easy fix, or is this definitely a warranty issue that will have to be taken care of by the shop? It wil be a little rough this weekend with almost no power out of the rear brake....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looks to me like you have a seal around the piston in the caliper broken. If you haven't ever wokred on calipers before and it is still under warranty get you LBS to fix and or replace. Also your pads are probably shot now too. Those are going to need replacing. See if you can't get those covered as well because of the original leak. I personnally would not ride any extreme hilly or downhills without the rear brake. If your only putting around town maybe, but that choice is up to you. I wouldn't.