Dec 2007

XT 4 pots, all the way!

my bike:

and of course my brakes:
    front:

rear:

levers:

Comments:
    1. rear line switched to Goodridge too. (pictures soon)
    2. do NOT ever buy Goodridge alloy connectors! only Stainless steel! i swapped my levers fittings to SS! too small fittings to be alloy...
    3. KOOL-STOP pads. i liked them the most!
    4. SWEET BRAKES SYSTEM!!!
    5. updated pictures soon!
    Last edited by amlior; 01-02-2008 at 03:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Looking good!
    Nice brakes turned into someting even nicer
    Still waiting for my second set of 4-pots, possibly the best brake ever made!

mtbr member
    I have them too in the 06 Reign, great breaks butI will be updating htem soon to the Hope M4 4pot breaks...MUCH better, lighter, one peice magic design, GREAT rotors as you already know. So, I will retire my XT 4pots...

As a side note, how are they with the floating rotor...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    it seems that your goodridge fittings isn't screwed in all the way??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    yep, as i wrote, already been fixed.. the problem was with the alloy fittings they are sucks! (brook up when trying to screw them all the way) so i switched to stainless steel fittings on the levers. much better!
    i'll post new pictures soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    good to hear that..

I got some 1set of 4pots on goodridge alu fittings too.
    fitted nicely and had fitted plenty of them with other brakes too (about15-20 sets) and only 1 breakage so far.(crossing my fingers)

only 2/5 weight of the stainless stain ones..

i get some pictures too...

nnn
    mtbr member
    Damn, this makes me wanna go all out for a set even more, BB7s are great but no compairson. That looks sweet !!!

I am back!

Nice set!

I have a set of m755 with the m756 levers. How are those dangerboy levers? I have been on the verge of getting them for some time.

Meh.
    I love my 4pots (except for the rather high cost of adapters).

mtbr member

So what you are saying is

Edit (naff post)
    Last edited by Prof; 01-02-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Stay off the brakes

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I have 4-pots front and rear on both my bikes, and they won't be leaving anytime soon.

One set is from the first release- 2001? And still going strong. New hoses and fresh fluid/pads are the only upgrades on that set. Amazing how much abuse the levers take! They are still slop-free.

I have yet to find a brake that compares, unless you spend 3-4x as much... and even then you don't have the small parts availability you get with shimano.

I went with hope hoses and straitline levers on my AM bike, I liked the brakes so much after 5+ years it seemed right to pimp them up a little bit. I also replaced all the bolts on the levers with stainless steel hex fittings from my local hardware store. They should be good for another 10 years at this rate!

mtbr member
    So I finally did it.
    I ordered a brand new, unused set of 755xts with 756 levers and standard hoses (will do it for the moment). Ill get some 160mm rotors, but I wont use them. Ill directly get some 8" rotors.
    And Straitline lever blades of course.

I am coming from a set of 2007 Magura Gustav Ms and before Ive been on Deore 525 and Saint Discs (Straitline levers on the Saints, too)

I loved the Saints, especially the Straitline levers, then got upgradeitis and bought the Gustavs (I work at an LBS parttime, so I get nice deals) and while the braking power is nice and consistent I hate the lever feel of the Gustavs. 2finger or 4finger blades, both dont work with my hands. Alsoat 149lbs, I dont need that much power.
    So I always loved Shimano parts for their second to none finish and excellent quality control. And I always wanted a set of the 755s, just never had the cash.

I will sell the Gustavs for sure, even if they are top notch brakes and a thing for themselves, just not for my hands

Now it was either, a set of 2008 Codes or get some 755s and pimp them.
    Seeing quite some defective Codes or little issues with them, I went for the 755s.

Ill get an 8" adapter for my Fox 36 PM fork and an IS to IS8" Adapter for the rear, does anyone have the numbers?

Which rotors should I get? Just some XT8" as they are cheap or something else?
    I always felt that the 6bolt XT rotors had a bit less braking power than the newer centerlock XTs with the curvier pattern.

Also the Hope floating discs for the M4 look killer, the M4s even use the same pads, should be a nice combination. Do you notice any better heat resistance with the floatings? Or is it just optical bling?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member

magura

how much for the gustavs?

mtbr member
    Id sell them for a good price, but I live in Europe. I guess shipping would be too expensive?

Its a 210/190mm f+r set. Comes both with a Post Mount and a Boxxer adaptor for the 210mm front disc. long hoses and brilliant condition. Also comes with the 2 and the 4 finger levers and a bleeding kit and the manual and some shims. Id sell them for 500$ (plus shipping), mint condition. Pads are just bedded in.

Greetings Znarf

ost
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thought i'd add some pretty pictures to the discussion

if you're not breaking stuff, you're not going faster

mtbr member
    Are those the same as Grimeca and Sram's old ones?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Are those the same as Grimeca and Sram's old ones?
    Similar, but not quite. The XT uses mineral oil, I believe those two use DOT fluid.

emtb.pl

755 with XTR DC

Yep, I had such a set two years ago on my Kikapu - 755 4pot paired with the '04 XTR Dual Control lever/shifter set. Haven't seen anyone else doing it You did see 755 levers paired with XTR callipers (for those who didn't like DC) but not the opposite. Anyway, it was doable and quite nice. Two years without single issue.
    I switched to Hope M4 for the BLT though - a lot more power but I use 8"/7" rotors f/r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    Yep, I had such a set two years ago on my Kikapu - 755 4pot paired with the '04 XTR Dual Control lever/shifter set. Haven't seen anyone else doing it You did see 755 levers paired with XTR callipers (for those who didn't like DC) but not the opposite. Anyway, it was doable and quite nice. Two years without single issue.
    I switched to Hope M4 for the BLT though - a lot more power but I use 8"/7" rotors f/r

Here you go, January 2005.
    A guy I know combined 4-pot calipres with XTR DC
    He's a mech so he knows what he is doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    I was hoping someone had both the 755 and the Mono M4 to know how they compare.

Stray Bullet
    Anyone have any tips on how to get 4 pots to work with either 8" PM direct front or rear mounts?

I've got a Trek Session 10 and the rear mount is 8" PM direct. Maybe use the smallest Shimano adapter and a 220mm Formula rotor?

Meh.
    Yeah, you'll have to use an adapter and up the rotor size. The minimum increase is 10mm... so that'll bump you to 213mm. And you can shim out the adapter with 3.5mm of spacers.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    how difficult is it to change out the levers on the orginal handle assy and what is the process? ive bent mine a couple times and one of these times its gonna snap when I try to bend it back

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeman
    Here you go, January 2005.
    A guy I know combined 4-pot calipres with XTR DC
    He's a mech so he knows what he is doing.
    I thought I was the first and last person on the planet
    Anyway my worries were if the pistons were identical in the 755 and xtr lever units in terms of volume/stroke. I wasn't worried about fittings/cables and other stuff, bacause shimano makes them homogenic. But there was no way to check it other than by doing
    All came out ok.
    Ypu'll probably see sh!t on these photo's in terms of 4pot XT's but it;s all that's left.
    24h race in 2005
    xt 036.jpg
    xt 037.jpg
    xt 046.jpg

emtb.pl

755 vs M4

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I was hoping someone had both the 755 and the Mono M4 to know how they compare.
    JC - I can try to compare the two sets but I had 755 with 6" rotors and the M4 uses 8"/7" now so you have to filter what I state.Plus they were never on the same bike. the wheels are the same though and tire setup is simmilar to what I had in the last few months of the Kikapu. And my better capabilities are equaled in the weight gain 200lbs now and used to be 180.

OK, here we go, my shy $0.02:

1. Modulation/Power
    I'd say the M4's have way better modulation and are ALOT better in dispatching heat. The heat dispatch is better thanks to the size of the rotors and the alloy spider - at least that's what they advertise Anyway the 755's were geting realy hot during long descents and the M4's don't.
    I wouldn't say M4's are a lot more powerful and that's with the bigger rotors taken into acount (I think they'd have about the same bite with equal rotors). I was hoping m4's would be stronger. Can't use it with one finger realy. None of them.

2. Design/maintance
    The 755's with the XTR DC had a kind of 'flexy lever feel' (thanks to the DC)
    755's with the original levers were harder but the levers did tend to get loose and clunker in the rough stuff without any hope to fix that - M4's have a nut to tighten there.
    755's use Mineral oil and that is easier if you like to mess with your setup. M4's use DOT which on the other hand is supposed to handle heat better.
    I used the 755's for 10k miles. I never, ever had any problems with the 755's in terms of taking air. And the metalic pads lasted ages there!
    I use M4's for a year now and just under 4k miles - no issues whatsoever.

3. Looks/bling
    judge yourselves but I say nothing looks better than Hopes. 755's made the kikapu look like a motorbike but that was in 2004

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast