Dec 2005

XT 4-Pot Disc Brakes (M756) Question

I am a little confused as to these Brakes. Does 756 refer to the lever? or the whole system including calipers? I am thinking about buying a complete set of these and using the just the levers with the newer 765 XT calipers but I don't know if the levers will be compatable.

mtbr member
    The callipers are 755s, the original levers are either 755s (hose goes straight into lever), or 756s (hose joins on a right angle, like the xtrs). The newer xt levers attach the same as the 755 levers. If you have hoses for the 756s you may need to replace them as they will be bent 90 degrees at the lever end. I have some hoses for the 756s (braided line), but having trouble hunting the right angle levers down.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I thought you were planning on using the callipers not the levers.

If you use the 756 levers then your hoses (if included) will attach straight into your newer xt callipers.

mtbr member
    You've got it backwards...
    The 756 levers have the hose that goes straight in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am using the 756 levers, the older black ones, and I am using them with the new 06' 765 calipers and they work great. I needed to replace the Shimano dual control that was on my new ETSX and picked up a set of the black 765's and have been very happy with the setup.

Dec 2005

let's see

OK. So does this sound right.
    The 755 levers have a right angle attachment and will work with the new XT calipers but I will need new hoses?
    The 756 levers have a straight attachment and will work with the new XT calipers and my existing hose?
    I hope I have this clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65
    I am using the 756 levers, the older black ones, and I am using them with the new 06' 765 calipers and they work great. I needed to replace the Shimano dual control that was on my new ETSX and picked up a set of the black 765's and have been very happy with the setup.

mtbr member
    Yip, I got it backwards. You've got it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    OK. So does this sound right.
    The 755 levers have a right angle attachment and will work with the new XT calipers but I will need new hoses?
    The 756 levers have a straight attachment and will work with the new XT calipers and my existing hose?
    I hope I have this clear.

You have got it right!

Dec 2005

Great

I appreciate all of the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65
    You have got it right!