mtbr member

XT 08 VS Stroker Ryde VS Juicy 5

Hi
    The evolution of my bike continues and now is time to change the brakes. The v-brakes just cant handle the wet and muddy conditions of this season so i'm upgrading for hidros.
    I need something reliable (had a bad experience with Hayes 9) and easy to setup.
    What do you have to say about this?

mtbr member
    well the list is kinda off set, the XT 08 is definately gonna be the best choice out of the three. The juicy 5 a very nice also and I believe they are exactly the same as the juicy 7 except for the pad adjusters. I cant really speak for the ryde but i do know that they have less power than the strokers which i have ridden before and those are also very nice but not as much power as the XT 08. Power on the juicy i cant really tell you. I played with it in the parking lot.

The lever feel comparison between the XT and ryde(which i think should probally be the same as the stroker) I think the XT wins hand down. I have never bleed either one of them so I cant tell you which ones better, but from every thing i have heard the XT are pretty easy.Modulation and feel is amazing on the XT along with the power

mtbr member
    Yes, i know the list is kinda of weird, but they have similar prices here. Thanks for the help man. How was the setup of the XT?

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    I haven't tried any of the other brakes, but my XTs were very easy to do a final bleed on (they were pre-bled, but I swapped the levers left to right) and they work beautifully. I rode a long, fast descent on my SC SL last weekend and it barely felt like I was using any of the brake's power. My friend using Hayes 9s got sore hands from braking hard on the same ride, but I didn't.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I hate Avid which leaves the other 2, if you go for the Strokerís you need to stretch to the Trailís cos the levers are rubbish. So I also think the XT is the best brakes for you and if you get organic pads you will have more power than even the Avidís.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    EGF where did you get those padding things for the wire housing so that they wont rub off the finish on the fork and bike?

Meh.
    I've had good luck with the Juicies. Most issues come from improper set up or break in. The XTs are really quite good though.

C S
    mtbr member
    I like the Juicy 5s that I put on my bike. Power has never been an issue for me (220 lbs), but I run a 185mm front rotor. I haven't used either of the other two brakes, but I have to say that the levers on the XT brakes look cool

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Well Iím in the UK so I cant help you with where to find them, there seem to be allot of people interested in these, I got mine as a promotional thing for Pinnacle bikes who have just set up as an own brand bike company from one of the big UK bike shop chains, I saw them in a huge pile on their stand at the London bike show, I grabbed as many as I could and walked of with a sizable amount in my pockets, they are very useful and have saved my frame from being rubbed to death.

And here's a [SIZE=2]free shot of my Stumpyís latest set up that I will throw in for you:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have some Juicy 3 SLs on my FSRxc (which are the same as the 5s and 7s but without all the adjustments) and I really like them. I could not ask for more stopping power - if I pull just a little too far on the lever I will be doing frontflips (quite literally), yet they have great modulation and the power is very easy to control. I'm running a 203mm up front and a 185mm at the rear (to prevent the rear from locking up all the time).

My sister got her new Myka today which came with some Stroker Rydes. I started bedding them in for her, and I have to say so far the lever design is very nice and comfortable, and it really saves a lot of space. As for the power at the end of the first day of bedding in - quite good and will pretty much stop anything (just a bit slower than with the Juicys and is a lot harder to stoppie and such). However, I expect that they will become slightly more powerful as the bedding in finishes. They also have great modulation and the power is also very easy to control. I used the Rydes with a 160mm rotor up front and a 140mm at the rear.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Mr clueless, if you are still interested on those cable protectors I did some research for all the people that send me pm`s about them, here you are if you havenít seen already:
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]My blog[/SIZE]

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeX
    I have some Juicy 3 SLs on my FSRxc (which are the same as the 5s and 7s but without all the adjustments) and I really like them. I could not ask for more stopping power - if I pull just a little too far on the lever I will be doing frontflips (quite literally), yet they have great modulation and the power is very easy to control. I'm running a 203mm up front and a 185mm at the rear (to prevent the rear from locking up all the time).

My sister got her new Myka today which came with some Stroker Rydes. I started bedding them in for her, and I have to say so far the lever design is very nice and comfortable, and it really saves a lot of space. As for the power at the end of the first day of bedding in - quite good and will pretty much stop anything (just a bit slower than with the Juicys and is a lot harder to stoppie and such). However, I expect that they will become slightly more powerful as the bedding in finishes. They also have great modulation and the power is also very easy to control. I used the Rydes with a 160mm rotor up front and a 140mm at the rear.
    Juicy 3 uses a different caliper and MC.