Ride More
    Jan 2004

Xpost in Communiting - STI compatibility

Hello,

I bought a Surly Longhaul trucker off the shelf and was looking to make some changes. It is a 3x9 set up with the 26 inch wheels.

I was planning on switching out the bar end shifters and brakes for a cheap set of STI shifters. I was looking at getting Shimano ST-3503 SORA STI 3 x 9 Speed as the STI's and then V brakes - maybe XT or something similar. I had two compatibility questions - should the rear shifter work with my existing XT rear der and cassette (the current rear shimano shifter says 'compatible with RD 7700 9sp')? Also, will the brake pull ratio's be ok or would i need to get some sort of brake pull ratio modifier? Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance!
    Drew

Plays with tools
    Yes on the rear derailleur, no on the brakes. The road STI levers are set up to pull a lot less cable that the V brakes require. They do make adaptors but IME they never feel great. You could look for a set of the mountain STI levers that were set up for V brakes and go that route. Depends on what style bar you run though.