mtbr member
    Oct 2010

XO or XT Brakes?

Trying to decide between 2011 Avid X0 brakes with G3 CS Rotors or 2010 M775 XT brakes with the newer two piece RT-76 rotors. The XT's will end up saving me around $120.00 and I've heard that the modulation with the XT's is much better than Avid CR's.

I believe the X0's are lighter than the XT's but not sure by how much, haven't been able to find a reliable weight for both to compare.

Having not ridden either, I'd like to hear opinions on which way I should go for a 2010 Stumpy FSR Carbon build.
    Thanks!

T.W.O.
    XO http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sho...hp?photo=16282
    XT http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sho...php/photo/5771

Both are great brakes, go with one you like most Of course XO is a better looking brake than XT, but the new XTR that's another story,ey?

g3h6o3
    Yeah the new XTR is another story, but keep in mind that they will update the XT line for 2012 and I bet they'll adopt the XTR design for their brakes.

I'm waiting for the 2012 XTs for sure.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    The current XT's are excellent brakes. Super easy to bleed no kits needed. I think they look great.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    XT are super easy to bleed. But the new XTR's are much better looking. From my experience with juicies, Avid brakes are much harder to bleed. Go with the new XTR's if you can.

I should be studying...
    Is the bleeding process the same for the avid elixirs and XOs? In my opinion they are about the same difficulty to bleed, you just need the $40 kit to bleed the avids/srams. Honestly, how often do you need to bleed your brakes? I've been running disc brakes since 2000 and I've needed to bleed my brakes twice. Buying a set of brakes based on bleeding difficulty is like buying a fork based on how easy it is to rebuild, unless you are a hardcore tinkerer, it really should only be a very small part of the equation. Choose which ones feel best in your hands and have the features you are looking for.

That being said, I've been running shimano discs for years and they have been reliable and consistent. My little brother just got a set of elixir cr brakes. I'm not a big fan of the setup/feel, I'll stick with shimano stoppers.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

official eMpTyBRain
    How funny! Everyone mentions how nice a brake looks but not how well it works. So, if an Avid brake didn't stop as well as a Shimano brake and it was less reliable than a Shimano brake but it was prettier, would you buy the Avid or the Shimano.

To me, stopping as fast as I need to when I squeeze the levers is the most important aspect of a braking system, not the way it looks.

Now, read the first paragraph again and make your choice according to the facts that I stated about each...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    How funny! Everyone mentions how nice a brake looks but not how well it works. So, if an Avid brake didn't stop as well as a Shimano brake and it was less reliable than a Shimano brake but it was prettier, would you buy the Avid or the Shimano.

To me, stopping as fast as I need to when I squeeze the levers is the most important aspect of a braking system, not the way it looks.

Now, read the first paragraph again and make your choice according to the facts that I stated about each...

"Most" brake nowadays are good, especially the 2 big brands. Use the right tool for the right job.

Plays with tools
    Avid brakes are for people that like spongy levers, if that's you buy away. If not look elsewhere.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    Avid brakes are for people that like spongy levers, if that's you buy away. If not look elsewhere.
    While I'm agreeing with you that they are a bit spongy, but I've yet to find a snappy levers on the Disc system. Plenty on the Mechanical.