Thread: XO Trail Brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

XO Trail Brakes

I was given a new set of avid xo trail brakes. Avid has been a mixed bag for me over the years and would never have dropped the change for these if I had to pay for them. My Juicy's were warbbly, 09 cr's have been flawless and '11 cr's had piston sticking issues in the rear. All lacked some power vs the competition. The new xt's have been the best brake I have tried recently.

That said, avid acquitted themselves quite well with the xo trail. Have found none of the avid quirks with them thus far and power and feel are top notch. You can really feel the extra power with the quad pistons. The levers feel more solid/substantial than my old Avis's as well. Would I pay a premium for these over xt's? Probably not as xt's have plenty of power and positive feel at a lower price, but if cost were equal, I would actually give the nod to these new xo trails if the reliability holds out. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for them so its a non-issue for me.

I will be the first to report back should any of the old avid warbling or stiction issues reoccur. I don't however, see the great power, feel and ergos regressing.

I'm Slow
    Thanks for the comperssion. I currently have the 2011 XT's and I am thinking about the X0 Trails. (mostly because I'm a Sram guy)
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    They are marginally better than the XT's on power and modulation, but I wouldn't espouse dropping the coin to replace the XT's; especially in light of the fact reliability hasn't been fully proven out yet.

Great brakes that you won't be dissapointed with; I would just be worried about the value for your money given you already have a great set of stoppers.

Offroader
    I currently have the SRAM XX brake set... the left brake lever is busted and i can't seem to find the part for just the brake lever...

I'm thinking of switching to Shimano... would the XTR/XT/SLX be a good replacement?

I'm Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by AREK28 View Post
    I currently have the SRAM XX brake set... the left brake lever is busted and i can't seem to find the part for just the brake lever...

I'm thinking of switching to Shimano... would the XTR/XT/SLX be a good replacement?
    No clue why you're posting this in a "XO Trail Brakes" post. But I can't say I'd ever stop anyone from buying the new shimano brakes. They work really well and easy to work on.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    OP or anyone, how have the XO Trail brakes been as far as reliability?

I'm going through the whole XTR vs XO thing right now and prefer SRAM. I know from experience that Elixirs are largely crap brakes, so do these redeem the product line?

metrotuned WoS
    Do the 2012 and 2013 differences (the updated section at the end where the hydraulic line enters the brake lever) have any effect on shortening the lines without bleed? I know Shimano's 2012+ brake line responds well to the "easy shortening lines" method in which you remove the brake pads and squeeze the pistons out a touch before pushing them back in to remove air from lines.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have been very pleased with them. No warble or stuck plungers - so far. Just good solid feel and great power. I really like the lever feel on these new xo's. They are very substantial.

mtbr member
    Not sure if the X0 to XT is a fair trade, if you now have a four piston setup you should compaire to the Saint or ZEE brake setup. The price of the Saint is steep as is the ZEE but since they are DH brakes you get what you pay for and more. I too have the XT brakes W/Ice Tech R-86 rotors and I am very happy (2011 finned). I was looking at the Saint and ZEE as well but for the money XT was the way to go. However, I am glad to hear that the XT's were close to the X0's, seems that I have spent the smart money.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    From a cost perspective, the xt's comparison may not be fair. That said, I think the xo trails are similar in weight to the xt's and way lighter than the saint and zee's so a fair comparison based on intended use. I still think the xt's are a much better value and have a track record.