Thread: xo setup help

mtbr member

xo setup help

Hey all.. New to disk brakes and just got a bike with them on it.. It came with a xo brakeset.. They stop like crazy(the good)... But i dont think they are setup right(the bad).. The pads are too close and there is instant activation-- no modulation.. The adjustment barrel that i could use to pull the pads away from the disk-- is all the way out.. So i can only bring the pads in tighter (not what i need).. I looked online and couldnt find any video's or manuals on how to setup avid xo's.. So thought id try here.. Any of you guys know of some vids i can watch and or a place to get a xo manual from sram? Thanks
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Spice
    Dec 2008
    The contact point adjustment dosnt adjust the pad spacing, just the bite point in the lever. Theyre the same as the elixir's, so set them up by loosening the caliper bolts so it can move slightly, spin the wheel, apply the brake, and tighten the bolts up.
    That makes sure the pads are aligned properly.

As far as the spacing goes, there'll be very little gap between the pads and the rotor. If you've adjusted the contact point adjuster and the brakes still bite too early, you can undo the small bleed screw and let out a very little amount of hydraulic fluid to increase the pad spacing, which i needed to do with one brake which seemed a bit overfilled (the pads always rubbed the rotor)

Never trust a fart
    The best way to give you more modulation is to do the following.

Screw the pad adjustment knob all the in. Pull the caliper and physically depress the pistons back into the caliper. Reinstall the caliper and pull the lever a few times to reset the pistons.

This is the method that the tech at Sram gave me. When the pads were too close to the rotors and would rub on my Juicy 7's. Method works great.

I try not to open up the brake system unless absolutely necessary.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys... I got things all sorted out.. wow do these things have a lot of power. . Still getting used to it..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Members who have read this thread: 0