mtbr member
    Nov 2012

xloc mounting without Sram levers

Hi Guys. I have searched far and wide for an answer and i am still no better off. I am about to throw my XO brakes in the bin (6 months old but garbage) and replace them with XTR Trail brakes. Problem is, how do i now mount the xloc remote lockout as it was mounted onto the XO levers? I asked my LBS but he wants $140 for a whole new remote lockout assembly, tubing and all.
    Question is, is there a workaround for this or am i forced to pony up $140 for the whole system? The bike is only 6 months old (Cannondale Flash 29er with Lefty). Any help would be greatly appreciated as the cost of replacing these brakes was huge, now it seems i need new caliper adapters, remote lockout etc which is m ore than my wallet can handle at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the xloc with hope brakes. It came with my sid xx wc fork. The remote should have a clamp, a clam shell design. AFAIK, the brakes are mounted on the clamp of the remote with a little adapter. Your LBS guy is on crack. Also, a new one can be had for around $80. Goes to show how incompetent most LBS's are. This is why LBS's get a bad rap, and why I do my own work on my bikes.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the reply mate. Yeh, we pay a fortune for stuff down here (Australia). So you are saying i CAN mount the remote directly on the bars without mounting it to a Sram lever assembly? If you happened to have a photo of how you have done this i would buy you a beer!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was mistaken, the shifter mounts to the clamp of the xloc. The brake mounts between the clamp of the xloc. You will still be able to mount the xloc to your bars. One thing to note is that the xloc is right/left specific. It angles to one side, when clamped on the bar. I had a right side mount, and wanted it on the left, so I put it on the left, but upside down. works fine. I would assume you have a left side mounting xloc, for the lefty fork.

Here are links to a couple pics:

This one shows the xloc around the bar
    www.cyclingnews.com presents 2009 Pro Bikes

This one shows how the shifter and brake mount to the xloc. Scroll down to post #87
    Rock Shox SID Worldcup 2010 - Seite 4 - Light-Bikes Forum

You should have no problems. Enjoy those new Shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeh, that's my problem. When i throw away the XO brakes i will need to somehow mount the xloc on the bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    check my above post. It will clamp around your bar.

Check this out.
    debunking the XLOC myth.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Mucky, that is awesome! So i don't need a spacer or anything, just tighten it up with a bit of care so it doesn't crush my carbon bars and it's all good?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yup. I tightened mine up to 3nM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Buy that man a beer! Thanks mate, you have put my mind at ease and saved me $140 to boot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It appears that your rear brake mount is Post mount which would enable you to run a 160mm rotor with no adapter. I'm not familiar with the lefty, but it appears it has an iso mount, in which you will probably need a Shimano adapter. You can always try your Avid adapter. Both brakes are meant to run a 160mm rotor on a post mount with no adapter. Worth a shot. Your new brakeset may come with the adapters.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks mate. The avids are sitting on cone washers also which is throwing me. Do shimano calipers sit higher than shimano ie; they never seem to be mounted on cone washers.?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't know enough about the Shimanos, but I woud guess the caliper is thicker where the bolt goes through. I was looking at the BB7's I have on my wife's bike, and they are thinner where the bolt goes through, than my Hope X2's. I didn't measure it, but I could. Best thing to do is mount up the XTR's, put your wheels on, and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thought i would give you an update - the least i can do given the advise provided here! I installed my XTR M988 Trail brakes on the weekend and couldn't be happier. The XO brakes are just not worth the grief. I even put a smaller 140mm rotor on the back and it can lock-up if i give the lever enough of a squeeze - somethinh that i could never do with the XO brakes even on the 160mm rotor it came with. Now i have a 180mm HS1 rotor on the front and a 140 HS1 rotor on the rear and pretty darn happy with the way it pulls up, i just have to be carefull not to send myself over the bars. Will test out on the dirt next weekend to see if the 180mm on the front is too much, i may have to also drop that down to a 160mm. All in all, i couldn't be happier with my new brakes!