Silence and Thunder...

X-thread - El Camino's and Goodridge

I put El Camino’s on my new Spot that I got a few months ago. These are my first disc brakes, so I have no other reference other than the two demo bikes I tried. The Spot demo had brand-new Juicy 7’s which worked great. The Flux demo had J-7’s with some miles on them, and they were horrible! I’m very happy w/ the El Caminos. I’ve had none of the common disc problems I’ve read about (chatter, howling/squeaking, on/off, pump up/fade, etc..), they have great modulation, plus they are easy to center, light and look sexy too.
    The one problem I did have arose during fast/steep hard braking. The rear lever would bottom to the bar while the wheel kept on turning! I finally figured the rears needed bleeding.
    I called Hayes for info and help, who called me back later the same day, and they were somewhat helpful (I’d give them a 7 out of 10 for customer service on the phone. But I sent them two emails later and they never replied!).
    So I finally contacted Larry (thnx, Larry!) and ordered a bleed kit and Goodridge hose kits too… why not?
    So I stayed up way too late last night and installed the new hose kits and learned how to bleed my bike brakes. Awesome! I only had time for a short “road test” today, but the results are good! No more ‘soft’ rear brake and a much more solid feel overall. There is still a good amount of modulation, but they don’t feel as ‘squishy’ as they did with the stock hoses.
    I still have a few install details to finish up (I think I could have shortened the hoses a bit more, but that can wait until next time), and I’ll get a better overall impression after a few trail rides.
    So far I’m very pleased with this upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...