mtbr member
    Feb 2004

X-LINK disc mount??

I recently decided to upgrade the rear v-brake on my 1999 Diamondback x-link to an Avid mechanical disc! As there was a disc mount on the frame I thought there would be no problem but no matter how I look at it, the damn thing just doesn't fit. Are there different rear mounts??? The holes seem to be the right distance apart but the caliper just doesn't want to go on!! HELP!

Frequent Crasher
    Hey (tom?) Bombadil ...
    Ok what you are having trouble with is the same thing I just ran into, except I had the opposite New frame old brakes. It seems that around 2000 the IS standard changed a little. I have some formula brakes from my 2000 GT XCR 1500 I wanted to throw on a new HT I built. Well I mounted up the rear and OMFG it didn't fit. The caliper lined up with the mounts but the top of the rotor scraped the back of the caliper. Eventually I was able to dremel a tiny bit and get the brake to work. I did buy a new rear brake off Ebay to fix this problem.
    SB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply supes but I don't think any amount of dremil work is gonna get this puppy to fit!