mtbr member
    Jan 2008

WTB Old-School 22mm Mount Hayes Caliper

Greetings-

I have a 2002 Trek 9.9 OCLV hardtail. I am in the process of converting it to disc brakes.

The problem is that on this old frame, it has the 22mm Hayes caliper mount built into the left chainstay of the frame - no IS 51mm mount that has become the standard, and which appears on newer OCLV hardtail frames.

To make matters worse, it does not appear that I can get an adapter into the space between the chainstay and seatstay. Thus, I need to find a 22mm - mount brake caliper.

One last thing, assume that I have been under a rock for the last five years. I have very little knowledge about what is compatable with what when it comes to disc brakes. Until recently, I was such a weight weenie that I resigned myself to V-brakes. But now its time to join the 21st century.

Questions:

Did anyone other than Hayes make 22mm-mount brake calipers?

Can I use an old-school Hayes caliper with a Shimano 160mm centerlock rotor?

Can I "upgrade" the lever of an old-school 22mm Hayes caliper to something new and light?

Does anyone have any 22mm mount calipers lying around that they want to sell?

Thanks in advance.

SC Junkie

Good luck

This would be much easier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-Disc-Brake-...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps you out.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    welcome to mtbr, PeteOCLV!

could you post a pic of your frame to see how much space you have....as you said, sometimes thereis is space for a caliper with adapter some times there isn't... maaybe a pic will help others that have seen something similar (or maybe the same bike) guesstimate if there is enough room...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I looked at that adapter posted above by SATANRULES this morning on eBay. I don't think it will fit, although there is a better chance that It will compared to the AZ2 adapter.

If someone has found a way to make any adapter work, that would be my first choice, of course.

I will try to post a pic later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

On further investigation . . .

http://fotos-alt.mtb-news.de/fotos/s...1366/cat/17006

I think what I am looking for is what is in this photo. The link that SATANRULES sent pushes the Iinternational Standard 51mm too far toward the back of the bike. (I understand there was a time when the Hayes 22mm was about an inch farther from the hub than on my bike.

I now think what will work is the A2Z "hayes" 21mm-to-51mm adapter available on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A2Z-Rear-Disc-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

The question now becomes, what brakes are out there that allow a direct bolt-on to a 51mm setup? (The 2006 Shimano XT brake that I have will never fit, because it starts with bolts that are about 71 or so mm apart, and requires an dapter to get to 51mm. All the new Hayes are like this as well) In the picture above, it looks like a Magura to me. Any others?

Meh.
    51mm is IS. So brakes like Maguras, Hopes, XTR, etc will fit. Many newer calipers are post mount (74mm) and use an adapter to attach to 51mm tabs. They do this because it is more versatile. And some will say that it's easier to set up the caliper.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    if you don't mind the weight...the 2 adapters should get you going.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    if you don't mind the weight...the 2 adapters should get you going.....
    An adapter from the 22mm frame to IS, and an adapter from IS to 74MM post mount will not fit, as there is not enough room. So those brakes that "start" with 74mm post mount are out for me.

What it now lools like is I have way more options than I first thought (so long as the brakes work with centerlock shimano rotors).