Thread: would it work

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

would it work

ok so I have never bled brakes on a bike but I am a maintenance mechanic in a factory and can make just about anything and wanted to know if you guys think i cound make a bleed kit for my avid j3s dont want spend the money because if they dont get alot more stopping power like when new Im just going to upgrade is there anything else that Im missing in the pic on the avid home page because I think I could make it what do you guys think

mtbr member
    Do you even need the bleed kit? I've bled moto brakes and car brakes without a "bleed kit" so I think it should be possible.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I have heard of people making their own bleed kits for Avids ... I use Shimano and have made my own kits ... but the bleeding process is slightly different.

With Avids, you do not fill up the reservoir from the lever end and pump the levers but ... rather you pump the fluid from the caliper end using a syringe up the hose pushing the air all the way up the hose and inthe the reservoir and then you remove the air in the reservoir using another syringe at the lever end.

As long as you mechanically inclined, which I think you are ... it will not be much of a problem ... worse case scenario ... you can always bring it to the LBS to bleed it for you after you have tried unsuccessfully ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The big difference between automotive/motorcycle hydraulics and MTB systems is the small size of the master reservoir. Also, the master cylinder is tiny compared to the auto system and pushes MUCH less fluid. In these systems, you will have a harder time pushing the air through the system compared to a car system. Instead, the bike brake kits give you an adapter to connect into the master cylinder/reservoir to which you connect a syringe as an external reservoir (and pressure system), much the way a professional automotive bleeding system works.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansegrauss
    ok so I have never bled brakes on a bike but I am a maintenance mechanic in a factory and can make just about anything and wanted to know if you guys think i cound make a bleed kit for my avid j3s
    Yes, I do think you could make the adapter. You'd need to match the threads on the little bleeding screw, make a wide landing for a small rubber washer to serve as a seal, and machine a little hose nipple on the other end of your adapter. The rest is a syringe and some small tygon tubing. Thought about doing this myself, but decided it was a lot easier to just buy the kit instead. Avid's kit is pricey, like $35, but appears to be more complete than others, including little hose clips and such.