Threading freely...

Are Mag Louise BAT an upgrade from Hayes Stroker? And would I need adaptors & rotors?

I have Hayes Stroker Trail brakes on my rig, and they fade during long downhills, not to mention the squealing as they heat up is embarrassing. Modulation is rather so so, too. I can get a set of Magura Louise BAT for cheap. Would those really be an significant improvement--at least a $200 improvement? TIA.
    Last edited by polymathic; 09-03-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: title change

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    yes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Having both brakes on bikes I ride frequently I say YES.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Threading freely...
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    One more vote for Louises. I can't compare them to your Strokers as I haven't ridden them, but I have experienced some other Hayes brakes... I think I'm turned off for life.
    Love Magura, on the other hand. Having not seen any raving reviews of any Hayes brakes in the recent past, I think you wouldn't regret the switch.

mtbr member
    YES. Love my Louise BAT. What size rotors? I'm running a 203 front and 180 rear and no problems. Only time I've overheated them was doing lift service runs and not braking properly (riding them too much).
    Lever feel is consistent and good modulation.

Threading freely...
    Thanks for the additional info. There is a complete set on Chainlove I ordered--180 front 160 rear--for $200. Since I'm 140lbs and only ride down what I pedal up, that should do. The Strokers are just loud and they fade at the end of long, rough descents, just when I most need them to be responsive because my hands and wrists are getting tired.

But after my CL order, I noticed that I can have a set of Louise on eBay at about $130 without adaptors and rotors. Anyone knows if I could just swap my Stroker calipers and levers, but keep the rotors and adapters? And does anyone know if the rotors make a big difference in performance? TIA

mtbr member
    I think rotor design plays a big role in brake noise. Look at all the "turkey gobble" noise complaints for Avid Juicy and how many times they redesigned the rotors.

FWIW, the Magura rotors are a little thicker than most others, and are better at resisting warping and brake fade.

The other factor in just swapping over calipers and levers is the size exact location of the pad contact on the rotor. You might have to do some shimming of the caliper to get it placed right

Threading freely...
    So I got a set of Magura Louise BAT with 160/180 rotors and adaptors on CL for $200 and I've been using them for two weeks. I really took them down some very serious DHs. Wow! Quiet. No fade. More modulation. I mostly wanted to get rid of fade and the howling, but I realized that there is more to it. Now when I get to the bottom, my wrists are not exhausted. And... I was taking it easy while I got used to them, but found out I was doing better times though I thought I was going slower. Great $200 upgrade with plenty of power for a light rider like myself (150lbs geared up). Thank you all for the input.