mtbr member
    Sep 2011

worth upgrading to speed dial 7?

i have some very old speed dials like 1.5 or something with my bb7. They have a little bit of "stiction" and are slow to return. I bought some speed dial 7s, but the shifters and speed dials require me to slide everything off the bar (including grips) rather than just unclamp them. The speed dial 7s look pretty much the same as the really old speed dials. Im wondering if there will be any substantial difference that will make it worth it to remove the grips and shifters to install the speed dial 7s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If it's not broken, don't fix it. I'd keep the new ones as spares.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the cheap stock techno novella brakes on my bike with speed dial 7 levers. I was hoping they had some more leverage and braking power. They did have SOME but not enough to make any real difference in riding. However, the adjust ability is fantastic. There is a very wide range so you can really dial in your brake feel from front to rear. I like to have as much power up front as possible with a weak rear brake and they let me achieve that easily.

The only advantage I really got from that is it made trail braking into long corners with the rear brake easier. The rear brake was very touchy while leaned over and I kept skidding out the rear. Now I can modulate it to keep scrubbing speed and feel the rear end slipping a little. There aren't to many corners that comes in handy for though.......

Its up to you how much that is worth.

Huckin' trails
    You got them on hand... man up and spend 10 minutes in the mancave to upgrade your ride. It will be worth it, I guarantee. And while you're at it, why don't you get lock-on grips too ? Oh, and new shifters with clamps, why not ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!