mtbr member

Is it worth it to upgrade to BB7's when I have BB5's already?

I've had BB5's on my last 2 mountain bikes (2010 Yukon and SS) and I love them...but I've heard so many good things about the BB7's. Are they really that much better? I've got my BB5's tuned perfectly and have never had a problem with them. And would the BB7's be worth the extra cost to upgrade from what I have now?

~Disc~Golf~
    possibly, If you could sell the BB5s off to a buddy or someone to offset the $$
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If your BB5s work fine why mess with them?
    When the pads wear out do the upgrade then.

Low Rep Count
    I have never ridden the BB5's but the only real difference I can see is the adjustment ability of the BB7's. It really is very convienent imo. Having had a cheaper set of mechanicals, I can say that being able to just turn the dial by hand than trying to use an allen wrench through the spokes. For me it would be worth the upgrade just for the ease of adjustment. I doubt the braking power is any different though. If the BB5's work, I would just stick with them until you needed to get new pads/rotors and then start searching the Bay for a good deal. I have seen BB7's brand new going for $85 set!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The other major....

difference between BB5s and BB7s is the pads. The BB5 uses a smaller round pad, the BB7 uses a larger rectangular pad with more surface. The pads of the BB7s last longer, bite harder, and are less prone to heat fade. The dual adjustable pads make fine tuning a snap with no need to loosen mounting bolts or fiddle with barrel adjusters to change outboard pad position. And the BB7s of the last year or so come standard with the G2 Clean Sweep rotors. The G2s run cooler and cleaner than the roundagons that come standard with the 5s, so are less prone to heat fade and maintain braking performance better in s sloppy conditions.

If you haven't had any problems with the BB5s and like them, then you're likely riding with in the performance capabilities of the brakes. If you're happy with them, then there's no need to upgrade.

Yes BB7s perform better than BB5s in just about every way. I know, I've ridden both and will take the 7s over the 5s every time. But if you don't need the additional performance then it's pretty much a waste of time and $. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I have used both and have to say that the BB7s are far superior to the BB5s. I only used the BB5s for a couple of months but bought another bike with the BB7s by then. The adjustability factor of the BB7s far outweighed the BB5s...so yes, it is worth the upgrade. Keep www.chainlove.com in your sites and perhaps have a running desktop alert if you can. You will see BB7s pop up for $40 each from time to time.

On the other hand, as a few replies have stated, if they are just fine, you don't need to mess with them.

Last suggestion, IF an upgrade is definitely in your sights, you might as well go hydraulics. The Elixirs are wonderful and will be lighter and most of the time more powerful.

Freshly Fujified

I'm with Squash

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    difference between BB5s and BB7s is the pads. The BB5 uses a smaller round pad, the BB7 uses a larger rectangular pad with more surface. The pads of the BB7s last longer, bite harder, and are less prone to heat fade. The dual adjustable pads make fine tuning a snap with no need to loosen mounting bolts or fiddle with barrel adjusters to change outboard pad position. And the BB7s of the last year or so come standard with the G2 Clean Sweep rotors. The G2s run cooler and cleaner than the roundagons that come standard with the 5s, so are less prone to heat fade and maintain braking performance better in s sloppy conditions.

If you haven't had any problems with the BB5s and like them, then you're likely riding with in the performance capabilities of the brakes. If you're happy with them, then there's no need to upgrade.

Yes BB7s perform better than BB5s in just about every way. I know, I've ridden both and will take the 7s over the 5s every time. But if you don't need the additional performance then it's pretty much a waste of time and $. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Good Dirt
    I couldn't have said it better. All excellent points, and sound advice as always from Squash!

Trail Junkie
    I know this thread is kind of dead, but people still search this kind of stuff and it comes up in Google (like me) so it's still useful.

For me, brakes are typically something you "Set and forget", and I typically run Kool Stop pads on all my brakes. So I am curious how much better would the BB7s be if I bought the BB5s and upgraded the pads to a better Kool Stop? The price offset would still save me money over the initial cost of the BB7s.

I had BB7s previously, and the setup was a bit of a pain always trying to adjust the inside piston. It always ended up that I had to use a T25 to turn it so it wasn't exactly "tool-free" adjustment. Are the BB7s lighter by a significant amount?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I know this thread is kind of dead, but people still search this kind of stuff and it comes up in Google (like me) so it's still useful.

For me, brakes are typically something you "Set and forget", and I typically run Kool Stop pads on all my brakes. So I am curious how much better would the BB7s be if I bought the BB5s and upgraded the pads to a better Kool Stop? The price offset would still save me money over the initial cost of the BB7s.

I had BB7s previously, and the setup was a bit of a pain always trying to adjust the inside piston. It always ended up that I had to use a T25 to turn it so it wasn't exactly "tool-free" adjustment. Are the BB7s lighter by a significant amount?
    totally agree, I was searching too when I came up with this "help"
    got bb5īs and wanted to upgrade but was it worth?
    My choice is, after I had read this thread; completely wear bb5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On a scale of 1-10

Bb5 =1
    Bb7 =10
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post

Good Dirt

This is the best advice in this thread.

Give it a crank
    It depends on how much you typically use your brakes. BB5s aren't bad if you never need aggressive stopping power during your rides. I had a set I took down 1K+ foot descents a few times and I'd have to adjust them at the top, in order to make the adjustment last all the way to the bottom. The pad area is just too small, the pads wear faster than on brakes with larger pads like the BB7s.

Otherwise, BB5s are light, mechanically simple, easy to maintain, and cheap. Why replace them if they're all you need on your bike? Answer: only if you want more stopping power.