mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Worth swapping Elixir 7's for XT?

I have a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite coming in on Saturday. It is specced with Elixir 7's, which I haven't heard too many great things about. I was thinking of ordering some XT brakes to replace them, and selling the Elixir's unused.

Is it worth the swap?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I've had great luck with my Elixers. They survived the Colorado Trail Race this summer. 500 miles, 70,000 feet of descending in 7 days--on one set of pads. With a fully-loaded bike-packing setup. No fade, no problems.

Swapping pads is quick and easy. But bleeding Elixers is a little tricky. The directions on SRAM's website are thorough and easy to follow, though, so getting it done right isn't that hard if you're careful and methodical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another question- the bike comes with a 200mm Elixir 7 up front. Will I need a new fork adapter to mount the 203mm XT's?

mtbr member
    I would get the LBS you are purchasing the bike from to swap out the avids for the shimanos. It is very common practice for the LBS to do the swap, and charge you a minor upgrade charge and then add the take off brakes into their inventory. They will much rather do that then lose the sale.

As for the adapter you may be able to add 1.5mm of shims to space it out, but I would personally just use the proper shimano adapter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Love new xt's vs my avid elixir cr carbons. Would never go back! Also I'm 240 on a Xl 575 and don't feel the need for 205 rotor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes. Definitely worth the swap.

mtbr member
    Love my XTs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A big +1 on the Shimano XT's with ice-tech rotors. Elixirs are good brakes with on fatal flaw. The god awful noises they produce. I know. As I've gone through a couple of sets of Avid's. I now run the XT's on my 575 and wouldn't even consider going back. I'd have your shop swap them out on the new bike. You'll have no problem selling them on Craigslist or Ebay. Once I listed mine, they were sold the following day.

mtbr member
    XTs all the way...Shimano nailed it this year!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have to come in here and agree with the majority. I've swapped Elixir 5's and 7's from my bikes to XT's and I would never dream of going back. The Elixirs did do their primary function of stopping you but with the usual Elixir noise. Once I tried the XT's there was a noticeable increase in stopping power, lever control and confidence which aided my riding. Having tried bikes with the Elixirs recently it was noticeable how numb they felt in use and were of no comparison to the XT's. Shimano definitely got it right with these brakes.

I use 180/180 on one bike with non ice tech XT discs and 203/180 non ice tech XT discs on another.

Yes you will need to use the Shimano 203mm brake mount adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    could someone help me out here!

ive an old bike with hayes nines i want to replace. they are on 200mm rotors.

if i bought a set of elixer 5's would they mount onto the current brackets and be ok on the 200mm rotors? new to all of this as you might imagine!

Farva's #1
    I would start fresh with new rotors. I but if you run your finger down your old rotors you will find a shelf where the pads have slowly worn down the rotor. To answer your answer, I do believe they would fit.

Swapping my Elixir 9's for XT's with Ice Tech! Staying with SRAM drivetrain (XO Type 2).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT and want to replace Avid Elixir 5's for XT's, I currently have 180mm rotor setup on both front and back, do need new adapter if I go with 160mm calipers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You need an adapter specific to your size of brake disc.

If you have any brand 160mm discs you should be ok to use any other brand 160mm, likewise for 180, 200 and 203. Personally i would not use 203mm where there is 200, i would buy the adapter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok thanks, I've adapters for 180mm on it already, I assume they will fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by domidango View Post
    Ok thanks, I've adapters for 180mm on it already, I assume they will fit.
    The 180mm adapters on your bike will be fine as long as you use 180mm discs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks again Davey G

mtbr member
    XT's with Ice Tech are great 180/160 work flawless.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I was looking at those, they have great reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you all for your help

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong with XT's, very reliable and powerful
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    I have a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite coming in on Saturday. It is specced with Elixir 7's, which I haven't heard too many great things about. I was thinking of ordering some XT brakes to replace them, and selling the Elixir's unused.

Is it worth the swap?
    XT all the way!

mtbr member
    Built up a new RIP 9 with the XTs with IceTech rotors 180/160 and couldn't be happier with them. I'm coming off of a set of Juicy 7's so take it for what it's worth.