Dirt Slinger

Worth the doh to get hydraulic brakes?

Looking at getting a new giant talon 27.5. Was leaning toward the lower end "5" because I'm on a budget. The only difference in the 5 and the 4 is the mechanical disc brakes and the hydraulic brakes and there is a higher end drivetrain on the 4. Should I spend the cash for the drivetrain and hydraulic brakes or just get the 5.

More Torque
    Post the price and specs for each bike, and we'll have better context to offer you guidance.

-D

Dirt Slinger
    Sorry bout that. Here is the link. Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bike compare link didn't work. Looking at it, the difference is

$570 bike:
    Altus/SRAM X4 8-speed, unknown wheelset, tektro mechanical brakes

$700 bike
    Altus/alivio 9-speed, Giant Tracker Sport wheelset, tektro draco hydraulics

Personally, get the $570 bike. The "upgrades" really aren't worth the money. With the saved money, get a new set of decent quality shimano hydraulics or some BB5 or BB7 brakes. The best upgrade (for ride quality, not weight) would be a decent hydraulic fork and good brakes.

Dirt Slinger
    Would like to upgrade my fork but I'm kind of a weight weenie. The reason I am buying a talon is because the yukon FX I had was too heavy! Nearly 40 pounds! This bike is more like 31 or 32 so more energy for the downhill. Thx for the input!last time I bought a bike I ignored some mtbr advice and now I pay for it. The person said to save my money and buy a hardtail because good full suspensions start at about 2500$ little did I know, he was exactly right! Thx. Have a good evening!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You may want to save your initial money at first and buy the 570$ bike. At your LBS when you get your bike ask about how much more an entry level shimano hydro brake kit. They should shoot you a good price with installation.

mtbr member
    I was looking at getting 27.5 5, but they didn't have any stock so they gave me a $150 discount on the 4. The front and rear derailleur are both alivio even though the Giant website says otherwise, also the 4 gets the FSA crank & BB. I would've got the 5 if they had it in stock especially as the Australian spec 5 comes with the same hydro's as the 4.

Talon 27.5 5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

official eMpTyBRain
    Agreed, dump the Tektros and get Shimano hydraulics. My wife's HT came with Tektro mechanicals and they were TERRIBLE!

Get Shimano Deore hydraulics. We put those on her bike and they are AWESOME!!! Inexpensive, too.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Dirt Slinger
    I'm might get the 5 and upgrade the brakes to BB5s. Hydraulic brakes are expensive if they brake and I don't know how to bleed them and stuff. I've heard good stuff about the bb5s and bb7s being super easy to dial in and tune. What do you think? Is the newer drive terrain worth the cash? Wrong forum for this side of the topic but now that I have it started...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hydraulics are no more expensive to replace than they are to buy. If it is worth it once, it's worth it again. Under normal, and even some ab-normal use, they shouldn't break. Bleeding brakes isn't that hard, just takes a bit of practice. the worst part is making sure you don't get the oil on the pads.

I have some BB7s on my bikes, and they are great. They're still mechanical and require a little more grip than hydraulics, but the do have better feel than cheap hydraulics. I'd get the bb7 once the Tektro mechanicals stop working right. That should only take about 6 months or less or normal riding. This will give you time to play with them.

For comparison. BB7 brakes can be found for about $70 on ebay (2 each, calipers and discs), BB5 for $30 (2 each, calipers only) and some Shimano hydraulics can be had for about $120 (2 sets, complete). bb7 have larger pads than bb5 and the pads are adjustable from both sides. The bb5 uses rounds pads very similar to the tektro novellas in size, and the pad position is only adjustable on the inside. Adjusting the outside requires you to adjust the cable length at the brake lever (really nothing different than on any other low end mechanical brake).

You should be able to get a decent set of used or new OEM takeoff hydraulics for under $50. A new/used decent quality fork should be available for about $100-$200 based on what you're looking for and where you live.

Dirt Slinger
    Thx for the info. I do need to sell my old bike first before buying the new bike and then the new brakes and stuff. I was going to try the upgrade program from sr suntour but the 27.5 forks are not in the program I don't think. Both my other bikes had messed up front forks so this new bike even with the low quality fork will be a huge upgradeI am so used to rock hard front suspension I probably wont even get a new fork. Haha thx for the info guys!