Authority is dead!

Word on floation rotors?

What's the word on those?
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Unknown to me. Are these like personal floatation devices?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Floating? Like new Hope rotors?

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    Floating? Like new Hope rotors?

that'd be my guess. maybe they mean the steel part "floats" around the hub by way of a aluminum carrier, similar to the XTR rotors?
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Authority is dead!
    Meant to say floating. Yeah, like new Hopes.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Meant to say floating. Yeah, like new Hopes.
    monkamoo has been sellin those for a while now. don't know why they're not included in the brakeset, but they are available as "aftermarket"...more like a re-rape to me...

but they do look good, and might be less prone to bending, or easier to true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7130269477
    Last edited by misctwo; 02-08-2005 at 10:15 AM.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Some of the first mtb discs had floating rotors. I think is was the "easy" way to align the brakes and not have to worry too much about warping.

They also rattled a lot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Some of the first mtb discs had floating rotors. I think is was the "easy" way to align the brakes and not have to worry too much about warping.

They also rattled a lot.
    Rattling should be solved by now (I haven't heard anyone complaning about rattling on the latest Hopes).

Hopes are not really floating but semi-floating. They allow for better thermal growth of the braking part allowing the use of an aluminum carrier to reduce weight.

There's a forum member who has used them for some months now. Do a search at this board under "floating rotor" and you'll find something for sure.

As far as I know... they work.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Old Mountain Cycles disc brakes used a floating rotor,and they squealed and rattled like hell. The idea, and correctly so, was that the floating rotor would resolve the synchronization of the pads, but the downside was the noise and the fuss.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

They do not float at all

I don't know who called them "floating". They do not float. It is just that their centers are made from a material that dissipates heat better than stainless steel. Supposedly, this can also drop some weight. My 160mm rotor is 94 grams, and 180mm rotor is 158 grams.
    Hope claimed weights are 91 and 154 grams correspondingly.

Naturally, the steel band is not welded to the AL center because it's not possible. Instead, it is fastened in a different way, and probably the method of fastening the inner and outer parts of them saves them from warping. Here in St.Pete we don't have long descents, plus it's pretty cold now, so I didn't have a chance to see if they would warp.

They do not float. They feel like a one-piece thing, they don't have any play at all.

"El Whatever"
    sorry... double post...
    Last edited by Warp; 02-09-2005 at 03:30 PM.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    I don't know who called them "floating". They do not float. It is just that their centers are made from a material that dissipates heat better than stainless steel. Supposedly, this can also drop some weight. My 160mm rotor is 94 grams, and 180mm rotor is 158 grams.
    Hope claimed weights are 91 and 154 grams correspondingly.

Naturally, the steel band is not welded to the AL center because it's not possible. Instead, it is fastened in a different way, and probably the method of fastening the inner and outer parts of them saves them from warping. Here in St.Pete we don't have long descents, plus it's pretty cold now, so I didn't have a chance to see if they would warp.

They do not float. They feel like a one-piece thing, they don't have any play at all.
    You're somewhat right. But then why Hope didn't just rivet their rotors to the carrier like shimano did on centerlocks??? It's cheaper, lighter.... you can even bolt them, no probs.

The reason is that even when you're spot on that you cannot weld al to steel, aluminum's thermal growth is different than steel's. If temperature varies certain levels (temp and time) your rotor will go right down south.

I think that is why shimano's brakes can not take sintered pads (only resin and semi-met) to keep temperature in check which is good for both rotor and caliper. I don't know about Hopes but I think these semi-floating rotors can take more heat than shimano's. In fact they have some float but not side to side.... even if you cannot move the rotor with your barehands.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check my Site