mtbr member

Winter riding w/ BB7's

How to you keep BB7's from freezing up during cold-weather riding?

The front brake seems to be ok, but the rear brake ends up totally frozen after about 30 minutes in cold weather. I've changed the cables, housing, etc.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Umm...use it? Have never had a problem with BB7s freezing up.

Is water getting in there and turning it to a solid block of ice or something? What freezes?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    if you're talking about the housings getting water in them, you could try running full length housings. if the whole caliper is icing up, get yourself some of THESE and a roll of duct tape.

mtbr member
    sorry for the delay'd reply.

Yeah, the whole caliper body seems to be freezing up. I can't see how water would get in there and freeze. The problem usually happens when I'm riding in snow. Ironically, they're fine when caked with mud and goop. =)

I've totally dissassembled the thing, lubed the actuation arm with some Finish Line lube made for cold weather (no, I did not lube the pads... give me some credit).

It's almost like there's not enough spring tension to reset the caliper... but again, it only happens when it gets really cold. It's kinda odd.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    don't interrupt your housings. ever. that's asking for sh!t to get in there.

also, if you're running uninterrupted, your housing may have a crack in it that's letting water in. inspect it and cover it up with electrical tape or something. yes it's ghetto, but that's how i roll.

a crappy zion cable guide cracked one of my avid cable housings, when i put it on a new bike i was wondering how water and mud were getting in, eventually i found the hole and sealed it.