Ologist

winter housing for mech disc

I have BB7s on a winter bike and I am wondering what is a good housing setup for very cold weather - full xtr housing, flak jackets, full metal jackets?

I've been using the Jagwire Ripcord as well as generic housing full runs, the Jagwire is better but even the full run with generic works very well. I did try the full metal jacket stuff and came away with the opinion that it is a pain to properly setup, not worth it IMHO.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I've been using the Jagwire Ripcord as well as generic housing full runs, the Jagwire is better but even the full run with generic works very well. I did try the full metal jacket stuff and came away with the opinion that it is a pain to properly setup, not worth it IMHO.
    I agree with Bikin'. Any full length housing works fine. The FMJ is not worth doing, mainly because the number of housing end joints increases the friction in the cable run (which is why even generic housing works full length).

As always, the straightest routing gives the best results.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I also agree, and i think the XTR cable kits are quite affordable, at least i think enough to be changed occasionally. They should be long enough for full length housing too, they were just long enough for me.