Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450

    Will v-brakes fit on old canti mounts?

    I'm thinking about outfitting my old/backup bike with a used RS Judy fork (don't laugh, it's free). The old bike has cantilever brakes, though. I assume the Judy is from the era of v-brakes. Will I be able to mount the old brakes on it?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    234

    yes.. but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    I'm thinking about outfitting my old/backup bike with a used RS Judy fork (don't laugh, it's free). The old bike has cantilever brakes, though. I assume the Judy is from the era of v-brakes. Will I be able to mount the old brakes on it?

    The brakes themselves will fit in the bosses, but you may not the cable guides to hold the outer housing in place.
    Not a biggie though, just run full length housing from lever to brake.

    hope this helps

  3. #3
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,573
    Yes it will work. John, why the cable housing problem? I haven't come across that issue.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  4. #4
    My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    Reputation: summitlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    576
    You should be ok with the cable mounts, Ive never had any problems.

    Just be sure to have some extra housing around.
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Cool, thanks guys.

  6. #6
    Slow and steady
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by summitlt
    You should be ok with the cable mounts, Ive never had any problems.

    Just be sure to have some extra housing around.
    A little additional information.... it will probably be obvious, but on the back of the seat tube there will be a final cable-stop. Most likely you will not use this final cable stop. The V-brake noodle has its own cable stop. So, if you look at your current brake cable routing, you will need to replace the last piece of housing with a longer piece that runs into the V-brake noodle.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    A little additional information.... it will probably be obvious, but on the back of the seat tube there will be a final cable-stop. Most likely you will not use this final cable stop. The V-brake noodle has its own cable stop. So, if you look at your current brake cable routing, you will need to replace the last piece of housing with a longer piece that runs into the V-brake noodle.
    Just to clarify, I won't be do anything with the rear brakes. I'm just going to replace the front fork and keep the current canti brakes all-around. The only complication I can see is if the added travel of the new fork will mean that my front brake cable will be too short.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    383
    The person wants to use cantilever brakes not V-brakes. Cantilever brakes requires a cable stop on the front fork lowers, the brake cable then goes down to the straddle cable. Without the cable stop the brakes will not work and if the cable stop is not on the fork arch then the brakes will not work when the fork is compressed. Here is a pic of an old trek with a front shock and cantilever brakes- you can see the front brake cable stop that is part fork arch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,573
    Ahhh. My apologies.
    Please disregard my prior post.

    I don't know where to find it, but they used to make an adaptor for the type of thing you are trying to accomplish. Good Luck.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Ok, I see. I haven't picked up the fork I'll be using yet, but I'll be sure to check that out. I really hope it has that little keeper. If I have to put v-brakes on the front, I'll have to also change the brake lever. Unfortunately, the bike also has integrated shifter/brake levers, so I'd have to replace the shifter too....unless I can just cut the entire brake lever assembly off the shifter pod...time to warm up the Dremel tool.

  11. #11
    Evil Genius
    Reputation: BikeKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    249

    If you look

    If you look on Ebay, I noticed that most of the Judy forks have a hole in the center of the brake arch. If I remember correctly you can get an adapter for the stop that fits into that hole.None of the Judy's on Ebay seemed to have one. I actually have that exact fork. It was a Trek Black Diamond Mogul Extreme and came on a 1993 Trek 9800 Carbon Fiber OCLV . I have that little brake booster/brake stop if you'd like it. I doubt it would fit on a RS Judy though. Also, you can find cheap stuff on Ebay. I saw a set of Avid V-brakes and boosters that went for something like 6 bucks.
    I had a similar problem with the integrated shifters. My awsome local bike shop gave me a set of adapters that mount the old XT pod shifters directly to the handlebar. If you can find another set of adapters, I'm sure you can find a whole brake set for less than 15 bucks and have a nicer fork and v-brakes for cheap. Good luck.

    Dan

  12. #12
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,571
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yes it will work. John, why the cable housing problem? I haven't come across that issue.
    lots of frames didn't have cable housing stops for the rear cantilever brake on/near the toptube. Kleins for example routed the brake cable housing FULL length thru the toptube. Many companies had a welded steel tube on the frame, to direct the cable around the seattube (Kona did that a lot) and the only housing stop was at the front of the toptube.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-o-saurus
    If you look on Ebay, I noticed that most of the Judy forks have a hole in the center of the brake arch. If I remember correctly you can get an adapter for the stop that fits into that hole.
    Any idea who would sell such a thing? I looked on the Rockshox website, but all the FAQ said is that they no longer manufactuer forks with the cable stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-o-saurus
    I actually have that exact fork. It was a Trek Black Diamond Mogul Extreme and came on a 1993 Trek 9800 Carbon Fiber OCLV . I have that little brake booster/brake stop if you'd like it. I doubt it would fit on a RS Judy though.
    Dan
    I finally got my hands on the fork. The hole for mounting the stop on the arch is 3/16" (approx 5mm) in diameter, and the arch is approx 1/2" thick at the point. You think yours would fit? Thanks for the offer, regardless.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    383
    The hole in the arch is not for the brake cable stop - it is for mounting a reflector bracket and reflector.

  15. #15
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,663

    Stoopid question time...

    Why not using the levers with vees??? Lack of modulation?? Different lever throw???

    What's the issue in there??

    I went from side-pull to vee's straight. No cantis in my life so I don't know about this issue.
    Check my Site

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Why not using the levers with vees??? Lack of modulation?? Different lever throw???

    What's the issue in there??

    I went from side-pull to vee's straight. No cantis in my life so I don't know about this issue.
    Apparently the leverage is different from v-brake levers, and if they worked, they wouldn't work very well. That's what everyone tells me, anyway.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    383
    A cantilever type brake lever will not pull enough cable to operate the brakes- they will be barely applied even after the lever is pull all the way to the handlebar. You could try making a cable stop and mounting it to the fork using the reflector bracket hole. The bracket would have to mounted in such a way that it could not move to one side or the other and be high enough above the fork arch for the straddle cable to work properly.

    I did what you are trying to do a few years ago. I ended up hunting around and finally found some stand alone shift pods in the proper gear count that I needed and just converted the brakes to Vs (a full set of Vs and levers are fairly cheap now). Do note that if you convert the rear to V-brakes you will either need a rear cable stop for the brake cable or have to run full length housing to the rear.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    As it turns out, I got some XTR shifter pods for my new bike, so if the canti option doesn't work, I'll transfer the LX front shifter from that bike to the old one, and get some cheap v-brakes and a lever for it. I'll leave the rear brakes as is, I think.

    I'm making one final attempt to get parts so that the cantis can work, but I don't think I'll put too much effort into it.

    Thanks for all the help guys.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jaji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    233
    also if there isnt a cable stop on the fork for the top, you could try to look for another fork arch that comes with the cable stop. i remember doing this when i went from canti's to vee's back when i had my Q21R!!! i replaced the arch with one that didnt have the cable stop. youd be going the other way of course.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaji
    also if there isnt a cable stop on the fork for the top, you could try to look for another fork arch that comes with the cable stop. i remember doing this when i went from canti's to vee's back when i had my Q21R!!! i replaced the arch with one that didnt have the cable stop. youd be going the other way of course.
    Can't...the arch is integrated into the fork.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    I'm thinking about outfitting my old/backup bike with a used RS Judy fork (don't laugh, it's free). The old bike has cantilever brakes, though. I assume the Judy is from the era of v-brakes. Will I be able to mount the old brakes on it?
    If anyone is still curious at this point, here's the fork I''m talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! adaptor to fit IS brakes on Manitou forks
    By Kelvin in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 11:40 AM
  2. V' Brakes on Canti Bike
    By mojo in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
  3. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
  4. burner ready for canti & disk brakes?
    By oxygenrace in forum Turner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 07:41 PM
  5. which link wire for old XTR canti brakes.
    By Spoiler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •