mtbr member

Will Simano rotor work with Avid BB7/BB5 caliper?

Some guy is selling a set of Shimano 160mm rotors with the 6-bolt attachment. Will these work on my Avid BB7 or BB5?

mtbr member
    No.
    It's even a forum sticky - the only one we have here too.

squish is good
    Actually I believe the problem is with the width of the rotor, and I'm not even sure if it's still current, that was regarding 07 and earlier Shimano rotors (I've never read all the way through that sticky so more current info could be available). BB7's give you enough adjustment to work with any rotor design as long as the inner and outer diameter is in the right spot with the appropriate spacers, I would be okay with running Shimano rotors with BB7's but not sure about BB5's.

FWIW I'm currently using a Hayes rotor with my Shimano brakes and they are the exact same width, which leads me to believe that current Shimano rotors and brakes have a thicker profile that is more in line with what everyone else runs currently compared to the old rotors. So far it's running fine, though I have limited use on it. I want more time riding it before I would issue a firm recommendation but initial impressions are very good.
    Bike good, work bad.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, they will work fine on all but the XTR rotors (you have to cut/file the pad tabs to fit XTR rotors as they hit the aluminum spider).

ups and downs
    The Shimano 6 bolt rotors only have a 14mm wide brake track (pad surface) and the BB7 rotors have a 16mm wide braking track.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Former Bike Wrench
    It'll work, I've done it with Hayes HFX-Nines which have roughly the same pad size as BB7's

Here a picture of the newer centerlock rotors and a Avid rotor strait from the sticky

There is a very minor amount of contact on the arms (half the arms actually on the rotor shown) of the centerlock rotor, but the stock sintered metallic pads will have no issue here and the arms do not wear any quicker than the brake track