mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Why's it squeal when I stand and rock the bike

I admit it -- I suck at all things brake related. It's my mechanical blind spot.

Any help diagnosing & fixing this -- front brake squeal when I stand and climb, rocking the bike. (Squeals with each pedal stroke.)

Fine at all other times. Is this a simple brake adjustment, or a loose hub or rotor or something? Nothing feels loose with a quick hand check.

This is on my Cannondale Rush with a lefty fork.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The rear brake on my 08 Giant Trance X0 makes noise when I stand and rock the bike. Very annoying!

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Are you sure it is your front brake? does it go away when you apply the front brakes? It could be a whole slew of things, your bar/stem interface, your bars themselves, your headset. If it was your brake, it would be your fork flexing, and the lefty's are known for their surprising stiffness, so i doubt that is it.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Sounds like flex in your frame/fork or poor setup. When you stand you flex the fork and frame a lot, it's not necessarily anything to do with your brakes. Standing for climbing is a last resort for the most part...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique