Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

Why Only Shimano Rotors for XT/XTR

I wanted to convert my XTR Caliper/Rotor combination (XT would be the same issue) from 160mm to 180mm and decided to use the Hope +20mm adapter and the Hope 180mm Rotor but was told by my LBS (after they had called Hope) that the Hope rotor is a wider rotor and would cause uneven pad wear on Shimano calipers. Is this true? I know XT/XTR 160mm/203mm rotors are thinner but since pads on the XT/XTR calipers open up to much wider than a Hope rotor, why shouldn't it all work fine? Current configuration: XTR calipers f/r, XT center-lock 160mm rotor rear, 203mm center-lock rotor front (brilliant and not 'over the top' for XC). Aim: XTR calipers front and rear; 203mm XT rotor front and 180mm rear via DT Swiss center-lock/6-bolt adapter and Hope (or any non-Shimano) 180mm 6-bolt rotor (Shimano don't make a 180mm rotor). Please note that the center-lock hubs are not the issue here as the compatiblity between the calipers and the rotor widths has nothing to do with the hubs on the Shimano wheels being center-lock.,

I already rode that
    I use hayes rotors with xtr calipers and have no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eungblut
    I wanted to convert my XTR Caliper/Rotor combination (XT would be the same issue) from 160mm to 180mm and decided to use the Hope +20mm adapter and the Hope 180mm Rotor but was told by my LBS (after they had called Hope) that the Hope rotor is a wider rotor and would cause uneven pad wear on Shimano calipers. Is this true? I know XT/XTR 160mm/203mm rotors are thinner but since pads on the XT/XTR calipers open up to much wider than a Hope rotor, why shouldn't it all work fine? Current configuration: XTR calipers f/r, XT center-lock 160mm rotor rear, 203mm center-lock rotor front (brilliant and not 'over the top' for XC). Aim: XTR calipers front and rear; 203mm XT rotor front and 180mm rear via DT Swiss center-lock/6-bolt adapter and Hope (or any non-Shimano) 180mm 6-bolt rotor (Shimano don't make a 180mm rotor). Please note that the center-lock hubs are not the issue here as the compatiblity between the calipers and the rotor widths has nothing to do with the hubs on the Shimano wheels being center-lock.,
    My bud was using Hope 180mm rotor up front with XTR calipers and had no issues. It was recommended to him by his LBS because Hope made thinner rotors.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i used 180/160mm hope mono mini rotors with xtr calipers...no problems. i betcha galfers would work nice too.

also, i have used avid and formula rotors with xtr and deore calipers....NO good. the holes in the rotors seem too big and the pads in the calipers catch on the holes.

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

Anyone tried Aztec 180mm rotor??

Great thanks! I am thinking of ordering the hope. Meanwhile I already have an Aztec 184/180mm (wavy) rotor as per this website.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...&CategoryName=

Still waiting for my DT Swiss centre-lock to 6 bolt converter so cant try it yet.

Anyone tried one with XT/XTR? Bit worried about the 184mm diameter :-/

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Great thanks! I am thinking of ordering the hope. Meanwhile I already have an Aztec 184/180mm (wavy) rotor as per this website.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx...&CategoryName=

Still waiting for my DT Swiss centre-lock to 6 bolt converter so cant try it yet.

Anyone tried one with XT/XTR? Bit worried about the 184mm diameter :-/
    Just rode with my same bud over the weekend. He switched back to 160/160 and was using '05 avid wavy rotors. He said they work better than the Hopes.

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

Thanks ....

Did you mean Avid or Aztec? Any reason why he has gone back to 160/160?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Did you mean Avid or Aztec? Any reason why he has gone back to 160/160?
    Avid. He switched back after the Fox rep gave him some vague answer to what was the biggest rotor he could use on his fork. I think it had more to do with the adapter he was using. After the dropout busting off scare he switched back.

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

Wow!!

Fitted the Hope Mono Mini 180mm rotor with the DT Swiss Center-Lock adapter. The rotor and center-lock adapter weigh 50g combined versus 45g for a 160mm XT center-lock rotor and lock-ring. However, the +20mm Hope caliper adapter weighs 45g so overall its only 50g heavier ..... stopping power feels like double - wow! Make sure you use Shimano METAL pads though.