I like Monkeys

Why not floating calipers

With all the trouble of alignment why don't we see more floating calipers in the bike world? I think the magura gustav's use them but no others that I know of. It is common to have a single piston, fixed pad and floating caliper in the car world. It seems to me that a single piston, floating caliper brake would be more reliable and easier to align than the current dual pistons with about the same weight. It would also handle warped disks better.

Just Askin'
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    mounting options maybe? no clue tell you the truth

nnn
    mtbr member
    I'm guessing something about licensing/patent costs that manufacturers don't think are worthwhile paying
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    I'm guessing something about licensing/patent costs that manufacturers don't think are worthwhile paying
    Magura is using sliding calipers on the gustav. If there is a license I'd think it would be cheaper than the machining and parts for a 2nd piston.

My only thought might be mud, but I'm sure there is a way to make a weatherproof slide.

LDH
    mtbr member
    opposed piston calipers negate the need for caliper movement , single action calipers need floating mounts EXCEPT on bicycles where the rotor is deflected over to the fixed pad.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    With all the trouble of alignment why don't we see more floating calipers in the bike world? I think the magura gustav's use them but no others that I know of. It is common to have a single piston, fixed pad and floating caliper in the car world. It seems to me that a single piston, floating caliper brake would be more reliable and easier to align than the current dual pistons with about the same weight. It would also handle warped disks better.

Just Askin'
    Floating calipers actually rub more than fixed.

Motor vehicles can tolerate draggy brakes more than bicycles.

Floating calipers/rotors on a bicycle constantly rub/jingle and there is not thing you can do about it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Floating calipers actually rub more than fixed.

Motor vehicles can tolerate draggy brakes more than bicycles.

Floating calipers/rotors on a bicycle constantly rub/jingle and there is not thing you can do about it.
    That answer makes sense. As much as I hate the least drag I'm guessing that I'd never tolerate the rubbing on a floating system.

mbtr member
    floating calipers rely on the rotor to keep them centered, a thin mtb rotor would bend before the caliper moved. If the sliders were so smoothly operating that the caliper could be slid by the rotor, it could easily be bonked back out of alignment by the trail. Maintaining the slider pins (they would have pretty tight tolerance to function in these conditions) would be more of a nuisance than setting fixed calipers correctly. The caliper sliders would add weight, complexity and cost.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, with the airlines I fly, there are only pistons on one side of the caliper, pads are on both sides, but if there was no floating caliper, the disc would warp the rotor when you used the brakes, so by allowing the caliper to float, you don't warp the rotor and it stays centered. This also allows for a simple design that is still essentially a "one-peice" caliper, but it cuts down on all the design/cost/extra seals associated with a 2-peice caliper, or even a 1-piece that has opposing pistons.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.