mtbr member
    Feb 2004

why are my XT/SLX disc brakes squealing?

XT ice tech front and SLX on the back. SLX rotors all around. I've ridden about 50 miles total in dry conditions. Today I got rained on and oh man! The noise was loud!

does that indicate a problem?

I noticed that when the rain stopped and i'd done some braking, the noise subsided. I'm guessing the heat dried the rotors. but then when i got hit with another round of wet, the noise was back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wet discs brakes are loud. As you say, heat from braking dries them out and quiets them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Never had that problem with my avid bb7s. Figured these would be the same. Guess not...

b a n n e d
    Wait until you hear a set of Hope's in the wet . . . it's pretty normal for brakes to squeal when wet. How loud often depends on the pad compound and the rotor design, as some are worse than others.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Yup, different brakes respond different to the wet - my experience I have found my Magura Gustavs were the quietest, followed close to an old set of hayes 9 I used to have. Magura lousie and martas were a bit louder. Shimano XTR are noisy in the wet. Avid elixers I used to have were noisy in the wet and in the dry.

MTB B'dos
    As said it's normal, but you could also have built up a layer of film in the dry and when that gets wet. My XTs were fine for a good while, but then any time I got near the sea with salt spray they'd holler, but not if just rain/water wet. Started happening when just when, so figured I'd built up some contamination or some such so gave them a little clean with alcohol and light sand, cleaned the rotors with alcohol as well, noise has gone away.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    not possible. only avid hydros squeal, not shimano
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I have some new XTs and some 2 piece shimano rotors. And from Day one they shriek. like, wtf! Im sure i didnt brake them properly and. There is a slim chance i might of got some brake fluid on them but l cant say for sure. But power is bad and the squeal is un real. Bad from the first day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have some new XTs and some 2 piece shimano rotors. And from Day one they shriek. like, wtf! Im sure i didnt brake them properly and. There is a slim chance i might of got some brake fluid on them but l cant say for sure. But power is bad and the squeal is un real. Bad from the first day.
    I think you figured out why your brakes squeal. If you didn't brake them in properly AND you got oil on them, then it is no surprise you don't have power and it squeals. You should always clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol after doing anything with them as you're bound to get oil from your hands, tools, etc. on them. Pickup a new set of pads and bed them in properly and you'll have plenty of power.

How many miles have you put on them so far?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've recently fitted XTs to my bike, it rained today and they squealed pretty loudly. My old Br-445s squealed as well in the wet and snow. I had heard that Shimano brakes were supposed to be quieter than others? Guess not...