mtbr member
    May 2006

Why are my shimano center-lock rotors saying that I can have resin pads only?

I was cleaning my rotors today, and noticed that they said "resin only". Is there a particular reason for this, and can I disregard it? Or is it something I should stick too rigidly?

MTBR Demi-God
    I would say that its better to use resin pads only on a rotor that is specifically designed to be used with that compound.

Most likely, the materials used to manufacture the rotor are designed so that they can dissipate heat and wear properly when used with resin pads.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    gotcha!! I was just wondering.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep.. the lower level rotors only use resin pads... I guess the extra heat from the metallic ones will cause them to fade...

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    RT97 (2007 XTR) rotors have a titanium coating - using metallic pads on them destroys them.

ups and downs
    Oddly enough the Shimano XTR disc brake installation instructions recommend the use of either the M07Ti resin and M06Ti metallic pads with the SMRT97 rotors. They just note that the M07Ti pads have a longer bedding in period than the M06Ti pads. They do note that the M07Ti pads are quieter.