mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Why Lost Brake Pad?

I have put about 200 hours on my bike and its Avid Juicy 5 brakes worked flawlessly and totally trouble-free until last week. I was riding the Modoc Trail not far from FATS when one of the pads in the rear brake fell out and was lost. I took the bike to a shop in Augusta and was told that the little silver-colored metal retainer on the outside of the housing that holds the two pads in place was bent and needed to be replaced. The part I am referring to can be seen when looking down at the top of the brake housing. It is inserted from the outside into a slot in the top of the housing. I had noticed it before but merely assumed it to be a dust/mud cover and did not reallize it actually retained the two pads.

The shop installed new pads and their spring but did not have the retainer in stock. The mechanic reshaped it as best he could and reinstalled it. He also mentioned that the one on the front brake was missing and I should round up one for it as as well. I assume the pads have not fallen out of the front brake because they rest in the housing in a more horizontal position--but I am no expert and am only guessing at this.

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with Avid brakes? Like I said, it is a first for me. Also, I want to order the two clips from Avid but in looking at the parts diagram on their website, I don't see a name or part number for it. Anyone have any idea what I should ask for?

Many thanks.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had this happening before, it was after a really muddy race and the pad kept falling until I finally realized one of the pistons was broken causing the pad to fall so you'd better check that too

mtbr member
    Layne,

Is it the metal piece pictured below the pistons in this picture?

Glen
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    I think it may be the 2nd item listed on this page

Universal Cycles -- Avid Disc Brake Pads

I thought your bike was newer than 2006 though, so I may be wrong.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I want to order the two clips from Avid but in looking at the parts diagram on their website, I don't see a name or part number for it. Anyone have any idea what I should ask for?
    Part No.2 here.

Part No.1 is a spare parts kit that includes part No.2, SlowMTBer's photo is of this spare parts kit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That's it!

It is a "Stainless Pad Retainer" and is in about the 8 O'clock position in the group of parts. As you say, also listed as Part No. 2 in the exploded view drawing.

I now know what to order

Really appreciate you guys help on this.

Happy Trails.