Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    To be perfectly honest, of all brakes I tried and my closest riding buddies have tried, only the Shimano XT was making no issues whatsoever.

However, if you count out the obvious brake problems like broken piston, the issue could be in tons of things not just the brakes. Contaminated or crappy pads, twisted or bad rotors, misalignment etc. Do not quickly blame the brake system.

I had issues with X0 brakes, then I bought Hope Saw rotors, and suddenly no issues anymore. They work perfectly. So, it was not the brake itmwas my rotor.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Got a friend with Formula, they were causing problems. He sold them to another friend, and he has no issues with them, they are perfect. This first dude then bought Magura Marta, was ok for first few months, now they are horrible. Etc etc etc....
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    These all sound like problems that are common to all hydraulic disc brakes.
    no, they are not. if you'd ever try "just cleaning" avid sticky pistons, you'd see its a lot harder than with other brands, and rarely achieves the same results.

ballbuster

Huh...

Quote Originally Posted by brake jack View Post
    no, they are not. if you'd ever try "just cleaning" avid sticky pistons, you'd see its a lot harder than with other brands, and rarely achieves the same results.

... Too bad.

I'm just saying a lot of what people complain about wtih Avids sound like the same problems I have with my brakes from time to time. I'm just getting a feel if this is a popularity vs. folks aren't aware of hydraulic brake issues, or worse... Avids aren't designed very well.

Yeah, I love Shimano brakes. Next set will likely be Shimano, mostly because I like dual control levers... yeah, I 'm a freak.

The one thing I don't like about Shimano is that they don't have replacement parts like seals and pistons. They are disposable. That said, I've never actually worn out a Shimano caliper or lever. I rebuilt my Hopes, and that turned out well. Parts were cheap when ordered from the UK.

Are Avids serviceable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    People that are happy with their brakes rarely go to forums to talk about them. I ran juicy 7s that came oem for 6 years, and the only annoyance I ever had was that it always seemed a lot harder to get new pads in the calipers than it should be. Other than that there has not been one issue. I never even new there was a "brake time" forum until about a month ago I got a pair of the new xt's and I have been on this forum almost every day trying to work different issues out. I just sent my front brake back to shimano for warranty.

I'm still excited for when I get the xt's dialed, but my point is with the high numbers of avid brakes being used out there, think of all those that have great brakes with no need to visit this forum or your bike shop.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my elixirs that came stock on my 2009 specialized stumpjumper fsr. I have them on my mach 5 now.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh boy. First, I was going to get the XT 785 disc brake set on sale at Bluesky for $250 with rotors and adapters, but the "I love XT" brake thread indicated there might be a manufacturing defect with the XT brakes. Then I started looking at the 2012 Avid Elixir 7s, and now I read this thread.

My LBS says to go with XT 785's and Avid rotors!! What do you think is my best choice for xc/all mountain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have had three different sets of avid brakes. One bb7 that has worked flawlessly for years on my hardtail And on my enduro, One set of juicy sevens that worked great but got replaced with a set of juicy ultimates after they got trashed in a wreck. I put dangerboy levers on them and have been running them for 3 years now. No problems with the sticky pistons, turkey warble, or bleeding. Maybe I haven't "seen the light" cause I haven't tried anything else but also if it isn't broke don't fix it. As of right now I ride mostly downhill and love these brakes. When I decide to get new ones I'm sure I'll probably stick with avid. I might just be lucky but I feel a lot of the bad remarks come because of the huge number of people using avids.

Afric Pepperbird
    Why should I change if I've had no problems?

Spending money just costs money.

AZ
    banned
    Love my Avid's, any one throwing theirs away can feel free to send them my way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OS cuda' View Post
    I might just be lucky but I feel a lot of the bad remarks come because of the huge number of people using avids.
    I hear you. If there are 50,000 Avid brakes vs 20,000 Shimano brakes, and there are twice as many complaints for Avid brakes, then the Avid's are actually better brakes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Love my Avid's, any one throwing theirs away can feel free to send them my way.
    I'll take the overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I hear you. If there are 50,000 Avid brakes vs 20,000 Shimano brakes, and there are twice as many complaints for Avid brakes, then the Avid's are actually better brakes!
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have two set of Juicy 3s. One had a sticky piston after 3 years. Both had the turkey gobble and squealing when new. Nothing a good long break-in period didnt fix. Washed them down with brake cleaner while I was breaking them in (about 3 rides). Bleeding isnt much of a problem with the exception of having to do it with the manual. I havent gotten the sequence down, only do it once a year.

None of these problems I find excessive. At least not worth 400 dollars worth of new brakes. They stop good and require basic maintenance. I hear YMMV

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've ran Avid Juicys for years and had issues but nothing major and you know what, just picked up some Elixir's and impressed so far.

There main selling point is the Tri Alignment system, no hassling around getting your frame and forks faced just bolt them on and ride, great for cheap ish bikes with sloppy made brake tabs.

I like the bleeding method to, the pretty little bubbles

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    But dude, if all those aforementioned brands built stuff to the quality you're implying, the typical consumer wouldn't want to pay for it.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by brake jack View Post
    (i worked as a wrench and never had the misfortune of owning avid brakes myself)
    Couldn't hack it as a tube changer at the bike store? Why did they fire you, because you couldn't fix brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The worst brakes I've used and also the most expensive are the Hope Mono Mini's so >Price does not equal better quality, build quality was actually higher but it didn't mean better performance it meant uber sensitive and picky and a nightmare to use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post

I like the bleeding method to, the pretty little bubbles
    I may be mistaken. There is nothing in biking I hate more than degassing brake fluid

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I may be mistaken. There is nothing in biking I hate more than degassing brake fluid

Works with my geeky scientist side I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I take it you've never hit a tree at speed.

mtbr member
    The solution to the "Turkey gobble howl" is actually quite simple.

1. Remove stock pads

2. Install Kool-Stop pads with the new metal "clip"

3. Before putting the "clip" onto the pads, *very lightly* put a tiny coating of Orange CRC Brake quiet goo onto the sides and, eyelet of each pad. (NOT on the backing of the pads, JUST where the clip holds the pads). Also put a very light coating where the screw-in pin goes through the eyelets of pads.

Let the goo set-up for a healthy 10 - 15 minutes, before putting the pads onto the clip.

4. Carefully install the pads & clip assembly back into the caliper, and install the screw-pin & E-Clip.

5. Let the setup chill out for about 30 minutes so the goo starts to dry, and then go ride your bike.

6. Enjoy quiet brakes.

The only "problem" with the Elixir's is that the clip allows resonance when you brake. A lot of cars & trucks have this problem too, just on a much larger scale.

Be very gentle with the amount of CRC Brake Goo you use, and DON'T put it on the backings, and you really won't have any issues.

Attention to detail can sometimes go a long way.

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

ballbuster

Huh....

Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    The worst brakes I've used and also the most expensive are the Hope Mono Mini's so >Price does not equal better quality, build quality was actually higher but it didn't mean better performance it meant uber sensitive and picky and a nightmare to use.
    IMO, Hope Mono Minis were the best brakes I ever owned. I had some minor issues with them, nothing that was a big deal to figure out once I learned how.

After 3000 miles and 6 years, I just rebuilt my rear.... $30 in parts, and tinkering with it for an hour and it's good as new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    i get that sram are very powerful, and avid are the leading oem brakes, but that should not stop people from seeing them for what they are - bad products that should be avoided.
    Are Hayes and Avid necessarily crap though? The reviews from Hayes Stroker Ace and Avid Code suggest that their high-end offerings work well. The dumbing down of the prices and quality seems to have been where they have failed most.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I recently upgrades to Hayes Strokers after I saw 4 of my riding buddies continually have issue with their Avid brakes. I've been using Hayes brakes on several different bikes since about 2000. Never had an issue with any of them.

BTW I love my Hayes Strokers. They're hands down the best brake for the $$.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    BTW I love my Hayes Strokers. They're hands down the best brake for the $$.
    That's funny, because mine are the worst I've ever seen, and on par with what I've come to expect from Promax. I suppose that just goes to show how it's important not to rely overly much on a single anecdote or point of experience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast