pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Why do my brakes squeek? Hayes mechanicals

This one baffles me. I have Hayes MX4, that came stock on my Giant STP. It's just the rear.

From what I can tell, you can adjust the distance of the pads to the rotor on both sides (both pads) independantly of each other. The non-cable side gets adjusted with a 5mm allen bolt/wrench, twist the wrench/bolt and the pad gets closer to the rotor.

the other pad gets adjusted by pulling the cable through the pinch bolt.

I can adjust the pads so they don't rub and my brakes work great. the rotor is warped just a tad, who's isn't..

The trouble comes after I ride for a bit. I've been jumping some smallish jumps and after an hour or so my cable side pad rubs non-stop and the squeek sounds like a dying mouse.

Could my rear wheel be moving in the dropouts ever so slightly? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

mtbr member
    How does your brake lever feel? Any chance cable friction is holding the pad against the rotor ever so slightly?

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    lever feels fine. The cables are well lubed.

mtbr member
    By "lubed" I hope you don't mean oil. I did that once and found the cables were gummed up like crazy. They were shifter cables and when I changed the cables/housing, it felt like a whole new bike. By wheel moving in dropout do you mean rear triangle flexing or hub slipping? I doubt it's the dropout flexing b/c if it's that, you should be able silence it by leaning to one side or the other. If it's slipping, then the cause is that your width isn't right. On my hubs (shimano and mavic), there is a nut (2 on mavic) on the non-drive side that adjusts the hub width (also rotor spacing). I hope that helps b/c I'm running out of ideas.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Lubed with Tri-Flow.....