mtbr member

Why cantilever brakes?

I'm just curious: why are cantilever brakes used so often on road bikes? Why not just put v-brakes on everything? The v-brakes are generally much more powerful, aren't they?

Not trying to start a religious war here. I'm genuinely curious. When it comes to brakes, there is this apparent schism between road and offroad. I'm just trying to understand it, because I'm thinking of taking the plunge and saving for a full-on road bike next year.

MOO
    mtbr member
    You will find the answer in the cyclocross world

mtbr member
    Road brake levers don't generally work with v-brakes without some fiddly inline adapter--they work fine with cantis. And cantis usually give more fender clearance for touring/commuting.

Honestly, in my experience a properly setup cantibrake is as powerful as a v-brake. The V-brake was originally introduced to address cable routing problems on full suspension bikes, not necessarily because the cantilever is an inferior design. V's are easier to set up properly which is a bonus, and also makes it easier for the home mechanic to get good, powerful braking without having to monkey with canti's straddle's cable length, angle, etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    V-brake was originally introduced to address cable routing problems on full suspension bikes, not necessarily because the cantilever is an inferior design.
    Ok, that's interesting. What were some of the problems? Are they mostly on the back end of the bike?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I'm just curious: why are cantilever brakes used so often on road bikes? Why not just put v-brakes on everything? The v-brakes are generally much more powerful, aren't they?

Not trying to start a religious war here. I'm genuinely curious. When it comes to brakes, there is this apparent schism between road and offroad. I'm just trying to understand it, because I'm thinking of taking the plunge and saving for a full-on road bike next year.
    Most road bikes use sidepull caliper brakes , not cantis .

Cyclocross bikes will use cantis for the reasons Steve mentioned.

V-brakes are not used much because the limiting factor is the narrow tires, not the brake power. Too powerful brakes and you just skid.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common