mtbr member

New question here. Why am I having trouble with XT Bleeds?

I got all the stuff you need and went thru the process a few times reading instructions and watching the shimano videos and others recommended. I have it good with no air bubbles, full master cylinder, and firm lever. Then pull the bleed block, put the wheel back on the the lever gets soft and goes all the way down to the bar. Minimal power and loud screeches with braking. Please set me straight? Ideas on my errors? a better protocol?

@trailgrinder
    Run us through the process you are using to bleed?

mtbr member
    I'm using the Shimano instructions as outlined in technical service instructions and a video meant for mechanics. A pal of mine works at a shop an has access to that. I switched over to a frame with internal routing so I needed to trim the housing. I installed a new olive (and that other little part). I lots plenty of oil in that process and so considered it a sort of bleed.

But to your question I used the Shimano funnel and followed instructions there:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830677008.pdf

Then poking around at mtbr people recommended this video:

Tech Tuesday - Shimano Brake Bleed - Pinkbike

Thanks

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I followed this guys video and everything went perfectly.

2011 Shimano XTR Brake Bleed - YouTube

mtbr member
    Thanks I did see that video. I own and used the Shimano funnel. At this point I think the think is so effed up I assume there's plenty of air in the system and I'll need to start from scratch.

The big issue I have is everything looks great until I disconnect everything and pull the lever. The lever goes all the way down to the bar and I have very little power. Would this be air in the system? Too little oil in the system?

mtbr member
    filling from the master cylinder and the caliper bleed screw open, press the syringe plunger and squeeze the lever a few times. Rotate the master cylinder assembly up and down a few time while keeping pressure on the system and tap master cylinder housing a few times and the caliper with a tool to get trapped air bubbles out. good steady flow of oil out of the caliper, keep pressure on the the syringe and close the caliper bleed screw, remove the bleed kit from the master cylinder, install bleed screw cap and clean with isopropyl alcohol. ..

92gli, that i some diiiity oil! this came out of my hayes caliper, dirty oil and chunks of crud ...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    never mind... probably doesn't apply for your issue
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Silly question, but you did not mention putting the pads back in after removing the block. Seams impossible, but it would create the situation you are experiencing.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Could be air in the system…are you topping off after you remove the funnel?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow, I just read that Shimano manual. There's no reservoir cap. WTF, I'll be sure not to buy the latest generation of Shimano brakes.

Bleeding brakes isn't really hard btw, but there's a whole bunch of tricks one needs to know.

Popping the compressed lever out of your fingers works really well for microbubbles all through the system, as is tapping the lever, lines and caliper with something such as a wrench.

I built a set of m975s from parts so I've done a bit of bleeding.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I think I finally got it. Like I said all felt good until I removed the yellow bleed blocks and reinstalled pads. Then the lever had way too much travel. So instead I pulled the blocks by the end and went with pads and the red spacer. I figured the block pushed the pistons in too far and resulted in too little fluid by the end. Feels better now. We'll see.