Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I <3 29ers

Who's NOT using disc brakes...

... and why not? Frame doesn't have the mounting tabs? Not convinced? Not felt as a necessity? Something else? Let me hear it. I'm debating doing a retro-fit, but there's a tiny little part of me that says "I didn't need them before, so I don't need them now", and it's driving me nuts. I've never even been on a bike with them, so i'm tempted not to just for sake of using the whole "plausible deniability" excuse.

PATIA!

p.s. - i've already read the FAQ, so I know what they're about and their advantages. That's NOT what this thread is about. Thank you.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I rode disc back in 2001, then went back to v-brakes in 2002 in the quest for a light bike.
    Then this year, I switched back to disc.

I found the stopping power of v-brake to be good enough for most of my XC riding here in dry SoCal.
    I never rode when it was wet because I hate mud and I didn't want to put ruts in the trails. So vees served me just fine on the trails.

I started to commute this year mtn bike and it rained dogs and cats here in SoCal for the first time in ages. My v-brakes sucked in the rain and it got scarey at some intersections. So I dug out the disc and wheels and remounted them.

I didn't have any complaints about my vees for dry wheather. I liked their light weight and simplicity. I ran Avid calipers and levers.

I already rode that
    When I get on my old bike Im not using disc brakes

nnn
    mtbr member
    I use a V in the rear simply because it modulates well enough when I set it up properly and I really don't need extra braking power even when it's wet (and believe me it's WET in the UK this time of year) The front is an entirely different issue tho

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not...that's why you dont' me posting here about problems with my disk brakes

I don't use them because:

- I ride my bike on the road as often on the trails and disks are both heavy and unnecessary for the road
    - price...I bought Avid SD7 calipers and levers for $70...they're good brakes with great power (for my type of riding anyway) and need very little or no adjustments

Deciding between disks & V's is like buying a new bike and trying to decide between HT and FS...for the same price you can get a good HT or a crap FS. It seems many out there have crap disk brakes and probably didn't even need them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have one bike with Juicy 7's and another with nice V's - XTR, Avid Ultimate on ceramic rims. The V's are nice, not as strong as the Juicy's but the Juicy's are almost too strong and I should only use one finger with them.

To legit to quit
    i don't need discs. most of my better bikes don't go out in the wet so no need there. my beater/comuter is probably gonna get a disc up front because i already have it and that bike will be out in the wet. a rear disc has never made sence to me seeing how the rear will only do so much until it just locks up and drags behind you. right now i'm running avid ti's, avid black ops and some xt's which i'm not fond of. once i get everything how i want it i'll be running pauls with paul levers on my xc bike, avid ti's with the matching levers on the back up bike, avid black ops with paul levers on the ss and a rock shox disc and xt rear with xt levers on the beater. i also run carumba smooth operators on everything but the beater and they make a big differance i think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    ... and why not? Frame doesn't have the mounting tabs? Not convinced? Not felt as a necessity? Something else? Let me hear it. I'm debating doing a retro-fit, but there's a tiny little part of me that says "I didn't need them before, so I don't need them now", and it's driving me nuts. I've never even been on a bike with them, so i'm tempted not to just for sake of using the whole "plausible deniability" excuse.

PATIA!

p.s. - i've already read the FAQ, so I know what they're about and their advantages. That's NOT what this thread is about. Thank you.
    Um, I was a XT V-brake user, great grip, but a damn hassle moving the pads and after four hours I had to adjust the tension, again and again, until eventually they wore out.
    Bought a cheap-ass mech disc front, got so damn impressed, not to mention I didn't have to adjust the pads with a allen wrench for 45 minutes to get them perfectly straight. That, I even got and bought myself a new bike with double disc hydraulics. Simply for the painless adjustment, longer pad lifetime, more, but even, stopping power.
    And it's downright cooler and cleaner =) No more blackened rims!

drinker
    Jan 2004
    i am not using discs. i do feel they arn't needed by me. i am however using magura rimmers on 3 of my 4 mountain bikes. i do know the advantages to discs, i am not ignorant; it's just that i don't need them. there isn't 1 situation, except for the knocking my rim out of true, that i ever think on the trail "wow i wish i had discs" granted i'm also dual rigid on 3 of my 4 bikes, and on another 3 of 4 running one gear........so my opinion doesn matter anyways.

mtbr member
    I went through the exact scenrio for 3 winter month. My RM Instinct came with Avid SD7 levers and caliper combo, which is probalbly one of the best V-brake setups money can buy. Then one day, I went out and rode through some muddy sections. That one ride convinced me that my brakes aren't good enough, and I went out and got a disc brake setup.

I went with XT dual control levers, and XT with centerlock. From the brakeset, I'm probably gaining 300 grams over the V-brake setup. However, I'm going to build up a new wheelset with XT centerlock hubs, DT 4.1d rms, DT Super Comp spokes, and brass nipples. This wheelset should be around 1700-1800 gramsish, which is 200 grams lighter from my LX on Mavic 221 setup.

So almost for a $1000 CAD, I'm getting much more powerful brakes and a bike that is only 100 grams heavier. For me, it is a worthwhile investment.

You have to decide how much money, and the extra weight means to you. If you dont want to spend a lot of cash, and worry a lot about weight, then V-brakes should serve you perfectly fine.

Cubicle Fugitive

Swore I wouldn't go back. . .

. . .but I just got a new frame (NOS) and 160mm rotors will not clear the stays.

Put an XT V on the back and a 185mm Avid mech on the front (both hooked up to XT levers), and I am not missing the my old Magura Julie set-up one bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PATIA!

Midwestern rider; haven't worn out a set of xtr v pads in years. No mountains, you see; just don't brake much. Where do you ride?

Linoleum Knife

33%

33% of my mountainbikes have disc brakes

I have v- brakes on my race bike & hardtail. My Yeti ASR has Avid discs.

They are nice, but all they do is slow you down. I have no interest in going slow, so they aren't much use to me. My Yeti sees a lot of action in Moab - where you NEED to go slow from time to time.

XC racing / singletrack - v-brakes
    Moab / fruita / high altitude epics - disc brakes.

Meh.
    Weight weenies and people who've never ridden a properly adjusted disc before... Those are the people who don't ride disc.

I <3 29ers
    Great! Thanks to all. Great input. Man, I like it here. Why didn't this place exist 15 years ago? Oh, wait, I didn't have a computer back then anyways.

Sine - not sure what's wrong, but in MY books your opinion matters. Single speed, rigid - i'd like to think braking choice is more a necessity of riding style and conditions, rather than what exactly you ride. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

As for where I ride? I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (I guess it's time for a sig, huh?). I never ride in the rain, and usually go around mud whenever possible. I get dirty enough with cars (no, i'm not an auto mechanic, at least professionally), mud doesn't bother me, but when I can go around I do. Most of the trails around here are.... I don't know, really. It's been so long since i've riden the "local" spots, that I can't say i'd "need" them or not. When I was "into" mountain biking discs were just coming out and were ridiculed grossly for being absolutely unnecessary, and "backwards" in their operation. I can't argue with the thinking back then, but we all know that a lot has changed.

I think my best plan of action, being so undecided and unsure, is simply to get some seat time in through this year, and then if I have a "problem" I can address it through the winter when I have time to put them on. The other part is that I would need to make adaptors to get them on and if I don't need to do it, then it's time better spent on other things. Same goes for money - i'm surprised at how inexpensive (relative statement, go easy) the upgrade is. Front and rear can be done, complete, for under $500.... Canadian. Not too bad. Okay, so it's cheap wheels, but the Avid's would be there.

I'll drop discs down the "priority post" a few notches for now. Right now i'm working on better shocks which are a far more necessary upgrade.

Thanks to all for the input. It's all greatly appreciated! Did I already mention what a great resource this forum is? Yeah, probably.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Weight weenies and people who've never ridden a properly adjusted disc before... Those are the people who don't ride disc.
    BAH - the dreaded "we posted at the same time" thing!

Why so negative? I can understand where you're coming from, but maybe you're missing a couple of other guys. Those who don't want to give up their ride for something that they might be able to live without and those that have never ridden discs, period. Again, my opinion is merely based on reading - is that so wrong? I've never come into a situation where i've needed to say "Holy crap I NEED better brakes". That, or i'm just not riding hard enough.

In any case, your input is valued as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't ride in the wet, most trails around here are closed or riders should use their judgement and not ride on wet trails to preserve our riding privileges there. The only time I ride in mud is during MTB or cyclocross races. Haven't raced MTB in a long time. Have two sets of wheels don't feel like replacing em all right now.

Used to live a place where it was fine to ride in the wet because it was all rocks but now I live in a place with lots of soil instead of rocks.

drinker
    Jan 2004
    HAHAHA....this has nothing to do with finaces or weight. if i were worried about weight would i be on steel? if i were worried about saving money, would i have 2 custom frames?

trust me; this is about what i am happy with and what i need more then what is "better" and what marketing tells me i need. here in SW ontario "mountain biking" is more like road riding on dirt then anything.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by sime
    i am not using discs. i do feel they arn't needed by me. i am however using magura rimmers on 3 of my 4 mountain bikes. i do know the advantages to discs, i am not ignorant; it's just that i don't need them. there isn't 1 situation, except for the knocking my rim out of true, that i ever think on the trail "wow i wish i had discs" granted i'm also dual rigid on 3 of my 4 bikes, and on another 3 of 4 running one gear........so my opinion doesn matter anyways.

magura rim brakes rock.

I dont' miss V-brakes one bit though

cables piss me off.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I run a v in the rear because I dont have disc mounts. I think v's are fine for XC, even muddy conditions. I like discs. Id put a disc on the rear but dont like those retrofit kits. An avid arch supreme will have to do .
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Great! Thanks to all. Great input. Man, I like it here. Why didn't this place exist 15 years ago? Oh, wait, I didn't have a computer back then anyways.

Sine - not sure what's wrong, but in MY books your opinion matters. Single speed, rigid - i'd like to think braking choice is more a necessity of riding style and conditions, rather than what exactly you ride. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

As for where I ride? I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (I guess it's time for a sig, huh?). I never ride in the rain, and usually go around mud whenever possible. I get dirty enough with cars (no, i'm not an auto mechanic, at least professionally), mud doesn't bother me, but when I can go around I do. Most of the trails around here are.... I don't know, really. It's been so long since i've riden the "local" spots, that I can't say i'd "need" them or not. When I was "into" mountain biking discs were just coming out and were ridiculed grossly for being absolutely unnecessary, and "backwards" in their operation. I can't argue with the thinking back then, but we all know that a lot has changed.

I think my best plan of action, being so undecided and unsure, is simply to get some seat time in through this year, and then if I have a "problem" I can address it through the winter when I have time to put them on. The other part is that I would need to make adaptors to get them on and if I don't need to do it, then it's time better spent on other things. Same goes for money - i'm surprised at how inexpensive (relative statement, go easy) the upgrade is. Front and rear can be done, complete, for under $500.... Canadian. Not too bad. Okay, so it's cheap wheels, but the Avid's would be there.

I'll drop discs down the "priority post" a few notches for now. Right now i'm working on better shocks which are a far more necessary upgrade.

Thanks to all for the input. It's all greatly appreciated! Did I already mention what a great resource this forum is? Yeah, probably.
    Thats' very good plan you've got there. I should've went with that route myself

Just in case you wanted to go to discs and have a fairly good quality setup for a good price, I do have some spare parts I didn't use for my own upgrade ==> A set of center lock XT hubs with center lock XT rotors!! These new XT hubs are much lighter than before. PM me if you need them...

Best of Luck

Ming

drinker
    Jan 2004
    toronto eh? well i am just down the 401, westbound. if you ever find yourself in the area (woodstock) feel free to somehow get a hold of me. i can at least allow you to try out magura rim brakes! they of course still have 1 major downfall......and that is the braking surface coming within 2" of the dirt; oh and out of true rims; beyond that, i couldn't imagine NEEDING better brakes. granted i'm no DH'er

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [QUOTE=AndrewTO]... and why not? .....QUOTE]

I'm not (currently). I'm also a dinosaur when it comes to frames - 1998 S-Works M2, 2000 Klein Adroit Pro, and just bought a third frame - an '01 Adroit still new in the box.....I'm building it up right now. Neither of the first two bikes have disc tabs - the '01 does, and I'm still a little torn between the old-school Hayes discs, or the xtr V's, found on both of my other MTBs.

I have a similar dilemma as the original poster - never used them, got along just fine. Do I really NEED them? I view frames the same way - always got along great with hardtails (and I'm a clyde), so never really felt the need to change. On the other hand, do I really NEED 3 hardtails? Of course. Why? Now that, I don't know....but if you can think of a good reason for me, it would sure help me explain things to my wife....

HTW

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I got V Brakes on all my bikes...

Why?

Lighter, and I can choose whatever lever I want. PERIOD.

BTW. I also live in the Dominion of Toronto, and I have no need for disc stopping power, as I do not DH. Why? CUZ there 'aint no Mountains in the TDOT!!!

Plain and simple...!

However...

It would be a different story if I was living in an alternate world and my place of residence was in BC or the likes...

LOL....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Interesting, so many Torontonians here with v-brakes... I am not running discs currently on my bike because it came without. There are 3 main reasons I don't run discs, one I've already mentioned, the second is no overwhelming need yet and the third is money related.

95% of the time I never needed nor cared for discs (that's not true they are cool bling accessories) but I am heavy @ around 190# and my last ride made me think I might be better served by more braking power even though I classify myself as XC.
    I like mud and technical decents and whilst trying to stay alive recently I had these 2 thoughts simultainiously: "OH SH1T!!!!" and "Muddy v-brakes really suck at stopping I might need discs".

I am not exactly rich and buying my bike drained the bank account very well so I wouldn't go around putting out money just the sake of having discs, I am saving for the best I can afford and making damn sure they will make a huge difference in performance... that's the main reason I skipped the BB7's I was looking at (put me down for not convinced, I guess).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast