mtbr member
    Jan 2007

who uses what fluid

i am pipe dreaming a new hardtail build up and i recently found out that some hydro brakes use mineral oil as opposed to DOT fluid. when i build my UberV a year ago i went with bb7 because i though all hydro brakes used DOT. the thing is i loathe getting brake fluid on my skin. even after many years of working on cars i still can't stand it! that was the whole reason i passed on hydro brakes i didn't want to get that crap on me while working on my bike, which is something i feel is more relaxing and enjoyable than wrenching on my cars.
    so far i know shimano and magura use mineral oil. is there anyone else?

banned
    Magura, Shimano: Mineral

Hayes, Avid, Hope, Formula: DOT 4 or 5.1

This is the list of major brands. Then you have those lesser known models that come out of the oe factories for different specs.

You don't have to get the fluid on the skin. You can wear gloves, and you can also practice cleaner procedures. Mineral is not as non-toxic as members here make it out to be and mountain bikers are generally laughed at for this by people who actually know.

If you get brake fluid on your skin, you wash it off. No big deal. I've spent days covered in the stuff while repairing my car's clutch hydraulics. It's no big deal.

If you get Hope, you also don't need a bleed kit. Just attach a hose to the bleeder valve on the caliper, and pump the lever while replenishing the fluid at the reservoir. Can't be cleaner than that. I'm not a fan of the Formula-Avid syringe system, as it will drip some fluid, but mostly, it's a good system for 2002 when it was developed by Formula, but it's just silly now. Shimano and Hope need no bleeding kit, a plus for an unexpected problem on a trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    a light splash of water stops dot fluid from drying out your skin.. besides that it really does nothing to you.. a few drops of hand lotion remedies it if you're too lazy to wash it off in a timely manner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    rubbing alcohol breaks up brake fluid better than water. and lotion really does wonders i still just hate the way the crap feels and i have been practically swimming in it more times than i like.
    thanks for answering my question guys

mtbr member
    yeah it feels like it hasn't come off yet