mtbr member

White Lightening Cleaner for rotors?

The bottle of White Lightening cleaner says good for removing oil/debris from rotors. I've just replaced my pads that were contaminated to stop the every annoying brake squeal issue. (I tried sanding them, cleaning them, cleaning the rotors, etc. - all the typical stuff but the pads were contaminated and shot)

I do NOT want to damage my new pads. Is it safe to actually use this cleaner on the rotors without damaging the pads?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    just use good old rubbing alcohol, 90% or higher is the best... wipe off after with a lean dry cloth.. you're good to go (just a general warning, edges on rotors are sharp, becareful and don't hack a chunk of your finger off )
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I know. That's how i clean them now but I was wondering if this cleaner was safe for pads adn actually clean the rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    is WL worth the risk? Rubbing alcohol is cheap, works well, and leaves no residue. Good enough for me. I would not use WL for this purpose- their products tend to leave a residue...of something. You do not want this on your pads.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by dumper View Post
    is WL worth the risk? Rubbing alcohol is cheap, works well, and leaves no residue. Good enough for me. I would not use WL for this purpose- their products tend to leave a residue...of something. You do not want this on your pads.
    what he said.. if you have totally soaked the rotor in oil and the alcohol isn't breaking it down enough you could use a cleaner, but i would wipe it down again with alcohol after using a degreaser type cleaner.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    That's what I thought. I'll stick with alcohol. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rubbing alcohol all the way.

Grams Light Bikes
    Yep, Rubbing alcohol, cheap and effective