mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where's the XTR sticky caliper info?

My XTR hydro pistons are sticking. I did some searches but can't find the fix. It was written by DeVries (sp?)?? I've tried lubing the piston with mineral oil, but no luck. Should I lube with triflow or something else?

Thanks for any pointers.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman3
    My XTR hydro pistons are sticking. I did some searches but can't find the fix. It was written by DeVries (sp?)?? I've tried lubing the piston with mineral oil, but no luck. Should I lube with triflow or something else?

Thanks for any pointers.
    I had sticky pistons with my XTRs, too. They were recently warrantied (new calipers) and *seem* to be OK, but time will tell if they have the problem again. It took about 6 weeks for the problem to start.

I tried everything to fix the problem myself, but nothing worked. Shimano USA stated that a light lubricant could be used on the piston surfaces to help. I tried Shimano Mineral oil and TriFlow...neither worked. In fact, the addition of lube to the caliper helped attract dust/dirt to the pistons...not good.

Since I'm in Canada, I called Shimano Canada. They were well aware of the issue, but recommended NOT lubing the pistons for the reasons I discovered: it attracts dirt. Instead, they suggested cleaning the pistons with White Lightning Clean Streak. I did this and I didn't see any improvement. So, the brakes went back to Shimano Canada.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com