ballbuster

Where to get DOT 5.1

Hiya,

I'm looking for a local source of DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Kragen and Auto Zone have no clue what it is, and don't carry it. I tried the local motorcycle shop, and same thing there. I stopped by Perforamce Plus in Oakland, which does hot rod kinda stuff, but no luck there either.

I need to get some, but have no desire to buy a tiny bottle from Hope for $25.

Anybody have any ideas where to score some of this? I live in the SF Bay area, and drive between Marin and Oakland on a daily basis.

I really need to trim my crazy long brake lines on my new Mono Minis, but don't wanna open up my lines unless I know I can bleed them.

Who are the brain police?
    Yahoo search engine + "DOT 5.1 brake fluid" = http://www.synlube.com/brake.htm

That was the 6th choice down the list. I'm sure if you shop around you can find really good prices.
    And these prices are way better than what you are faced with now anyway.

(prices include shipping)
    1/2 liter $13
    Quart $25
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Chrome Toaster
    5.1 is aparently not commonly used in the US. I had the sam eproblem trying to find the stuff for mi Mini's. Just get some quality DOT 4 stuff. Its ok to substitute it with DOT4. I used valvoline stuff which is supposed to exceed DOT 4 specs so it should be quite close. The only difference between 5.1 and 4 is a slightly higher boiling point and 5.1 is less viscous. They are chemically compatible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    correct
    just use dot 4 regular stuff ..cheap and available everywhere ...

Brakemeister

mtbr member
    Do NOT top your brakes up with DOT4 brake fluid. Although both are glycol based it is not a good idea to mix. If you want to use DOT4 drain the system of dot 5.1 and flush with DOT4 (over-bleed (pump a couple reservoir full of fluid through) if you don't have a pressure bleeder, if you do then push 2X or 3X system capacity through the system) and then top up with DOT4 (re-bleed if necessary)

DOT5.1 is relatively cheap and easily obtainable in the US however. Virtually any speed shop and most high end motorcycle shops (not harley dealers they use silicone based DOT5 not glycol based DOT5.1 fluid) should have DOT5.1 brake fluid

I would look very hard for DOT5.1 before converting the system to DOT4. DOT5.1 is a much more stable brake fluid and will last much longet (you should purge and refill a DOT4 based system every year, unless you downhill DOT5.1 would easily go 2 or three years with no maintenance (it is a good idea to purge and refill every three years regardless)
    Last edited by Grumpy; 02-03-2005 at 06:15 AM.

meh....
    Did the motorcycle shop sell high end British bikes? Look for one that does, that's where I found some.

Monte

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Do NOT top your brakes up with DOT4 brake fluid. Although both are glycol based it is not a good idea to mix. If you want to use DOT4 drain the system of dot 5.1 and flush with DOT4 (over-bleed (pump a couple reservoir full of fluid through) if you don't have a pressure bleeder, if you do then push 2X or 3X system capacity through the system) and then top up with DOT4 (re-bleed if necessary)

DOT5.1 is relatively cheap and easily obtainable in the US however. Virtually any speed shop and most high end motorcycle shops (not harley dealers they use silicone based DOT5 not glycol based DOT5.1 fluid) should have DOT5.1 brake fluid

I would look very hard for DOT5.1 before converting the system to DOT4. DOT5.1 is a much more stable brake fluid and will last much longet (you should purge and refill a DOT4 based system every year, unless you downhill DOT5.1 would easily go 2 or three years with no maintenance (it is a good idea to purge and refill every three years regardless)
    Yeah I forgot to specify that one detail. Even though DOT 4 will not harm 5.1 systems you can not or should not mix the fluids, unlike DOT 3 and 4 which are safe to mix. Flush out all the 5.1 completely first.

FD1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OR Italian bikes.....

At a town outside Toronto, I found a motorbike shop that was able to get 5.1 made by AGIP ( the guys who supply fluids to Ferrari F1). You should be able to find this in the Bay area with all the expensive toys people around there drive.

FD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is where I got mine:
    http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,12481.html

$6 for a huge bottle

mtbr member

In San Rafael...

...you can get some at Ducati Triumph Yamaha of Marin (Now know as Hattar Motorsports). Just bought some there a little while ago.

http://www.dtyofmarin.com