mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Where do you get DOT Fluid?

Looks like DOT 5.1 is common between my old Juicys, Elixirs on my son's bike and my XX brakes. Do I get it from the bike store or the auto parts store?

mtbr member
    Auto parts stores will have Dot 3 and 4. I haven't found dot 5.1 in the auto parts stores checker, pep boys et al. I went to a performance motorcycle shop. I think it was $10 a quart. You could always just use dot 4 instead. It is compatible with 5.1 and 3, it just has a lower boiling point than 5.1. Remeber Dot 5 is NOT compatible.

Huckin' trails
    Lot of motorcycle stuff is in fact better then "bike" stuff... it's better, because it has to withstand more abuse... and it's cheaper to get motorcycle stuff the bike stuff...

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yep, moto store has'em. Dont buy a quart. B fluid absorbs water. Better fresh dot 4 than old dot 5.1.

Dry Boiling Point Wet Boiling Point
    DOT 3. 401F 284 F
    DOT 4 446 F 311 F
    DOT 5 500 F 356 F
    DOT 5.1 518 F 375 F

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Appreciate it guys.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Online, Universal Cycles has all the DOT fluid variants, including same brands I've seen in auto & motorcycle part stores.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    Looks like DOT 5.1 is common between my old Juicys, Elixirs on my son's bike and my XX brakes. Do I get it from the bike store or the auto parts store?
    LBS should have it - chain reaction sell it too pretty cheap. Sorry cant post urls yet but go to chain reaction cycles dot com and search for dot 5.1

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The synthetic dot 4 numbers fall close to dot 5 and can be had easily and cheaply at most auto parts store. Dot 5.1 can be found at most moto shops.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain View Post
    Auto parts stores will have Dot 3 and 4. I haven't found dot 5.1 in the auto parts stores checker, pep boys et al. I went to a performance motorcycle shop. I think it was $10 a quart. You could always just use dot 4 instead. It is compatible with 5.1 and 3, it just has a lower boiling point than 5.1. Remeber Dot 5 is NOT compatible.

Hi,

I purchase my 5.1 at Napa. call a store & order it up if they dont stock it.

I have been using the napa 5.1 for 2 years now and have yet to have a seal swelling issue and have had better luck all around.

(I have 2 sets of XX and a set of X.0) so far so good.

Someone else said that bike stuff vs. motorcycle stuff is better quality.

I agree, I was using avid 5.1 originally and had a set of XX brakes go to hell on me.
    The master cylinder started to stick & the pistons on the calipers were hanging up.
    I attributed this to the fluid, Purchased rebuild kits, threw them in & have not an issue in two seasons of riding.

I do bleed my brakes once in the summer and once in the winter.

H