mtbr member
    Jul 2014

When should I replace old hydraulic brakes?

So I have a Canondale prophet with old hayes nine hydro brakes. They stop pretty well but i'm looking into a possible upgrade since they are old. I guess my question is what are the benefits of upgrading to newer hydro brakes if there is any.
    thanks fellas

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Benefits you would never expect.

I went from good Avid Elixer CR's to Shimano XT's with Ice Tech rotors a few months ago. I never thought brakes could make me faster....but they did. The superior power and positive control of the Shimano brakes allowed me to stay off the brakes until the absolute last moment before turn entry, brake, release, and blast out of the turns. It was night and day difference that I had not expected to experience. XT's are coated with Awesome Sauce. Buy some and be done with it.

The other benefit is they bleed uber easy on the rare occasion you need to do that. My experience with Hayes is not so bad and somewhat similar to the Shimano. Comparatively, dealing with Avids is just a pain in the ass and necessary on a more frequent basis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I guess I can see some improvements on hydro brakes over time with better engineering and design. After all my hayes nines are almost 10 years old. So overall I can expect a braking system that is slightly more polished that the hayes. thanks.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Not "slightly" but HUGELY.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The performance gap between a Hayes 9 and modern disc brakes is about the same as say, a clapped out Ford Pinto and a modern F1 car. It's not even the same ballpark, it's a whole new ball game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    geez I didn't know different hydro brakes differ that much. I have a 2014 specialized hardrock sport disc with Tektro HD-M330 hydros and I notice the braking power is slightly better but then again the tektros are probably not that great either. Will probably upgrade when there are sales. thanks

@aerius come on a ford pinto and an f1? mayb if we were to compare drum brakes to hydros lol.

mtbr member
    i thought my Avid Juicy 3s were pretty good (when they worked right) then i tried some XTs,... HOLY CRAP!

im buying XTs
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

1pt21Gigawatts
    My Magura Marta SL lever apparently just lost the battle since being installed in around 2006. Time flies!

Rather than spend another $100 on replacement levers, what's a good choice for XC sub $200?

XT brakes?
    Avid's?
    Hayes?
    currently...

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by plucks View Post
    My Magura Marta SL lever apparently just lost the battle since being installed in around 2006. Time flies!

Rather than spend another $100 on replacement levers, what's a good choice for XC sub $200?

XT brakes?
    Avid's?
    Hayes?

That's easy...

XT's..... or even SLX's from what I'm told.

I'd watch Blue Sky or Chain Reaction as they have had <$100 per side deals frequently for XT's. That won't include the Ice Tech rotors but it's a great deal and a good start.

SLX brakes are great. I put some on my old MTB. My old Magura Julies had sticky pistons that I just couldn't free up for more than a month or two, so it was time for them to go.

They're awesome. I had to have one of the levers warrantied, and Shimano sent me an XT lever. So now I get the free stroke adjustment. I changed the other lever to XT a little bit later so I could have the same adjustments on both levers.

I am putting XTR Trails on my next bike (keeping the XT/SLX kit on my old mtb, though). My wife has XTR Race on hers. The whole Shimano lineup is really solid. Even the newer Deore hydros (M615, IIRC) are a really solid choice on a budget.

The bike I'm getting this fall comes with SRAM Guides, and I've heard they're great. I know a couple guys riding different models of those and they all have positive things to say about them. But I've committed to Shimano brakes right now, and it's just easier to stock one bleed kit and get good at one bleed method to handle all of the bikes we own.

MTB B'dos
    Seriously OP, you THINK your brakes work pretty good, but trust me when I say, they don't. Buy yourself a set of the new XT M785 or SLX M675 discs and feel what real power is. I knew several guys who had those nine brakes years ago and they were never any good and compared to a set of new XTs they feel like absolute crap.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics