mtbr member

When to replace a rotor?

I have a set of 185mm BB7's with the roundagon rotors. I have over 3 seasons on them. My rear rotor has almost a burnt look to it, and it has gotten very loud recently and screeches and vibrates. I have tried sanding and refinishing both the pads and the rotor and I have cleaned them with brake cleaner and alcohol.

Do rotors actually wear out? I'm tempted to get a new cleansweep 160mm rotor but figured I would check here first. Thanks

Dirt Deviant
    Yea, rotors wear out. Probably faster than most people think. I had a customer who bought brand new juicy 7's from us, and installed them without using the new rotor. CAME BACK ALL Pissed off at us for supposedly selling him defective brakes. I looked at his rotors and they were so thin, I am suprised they were still in 1 piece. They were worn to a concave shape and were about as thin a 3 pieces of typing paper in the middle.

I'd say, get new rotors if you've had 3 good years on them.,,,,unless there is minimal mileage on the bike.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I would guess there's 1200-1500 miles on them.

Dirt Deviant
    Do you have a set of calipers that you can measure them with?

As long as they are thick enough, I wouldn't wory about discoloration...unless of course they have been contamnated.
    Sounds like the rear may have been contaminated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Sounds like the rear may have been contaminated.
    I was guessing the same thing. I tried to resurface them with 400-800 grit sand paper and clean them. I don't think thickness in an issue. Do you know of a way to decontaminate them?

Dirt Deviant
    I would use 120 then 200 grit to resurface them. Make sure you use fresh unused pieces of sandpaper. You should be able to remove all the discoloration with some elbow grease. Once the color is gone, spiff em up with 200.

For the pads, you can heat them up in the oven to 400 degrees F for 10-20 minutes. I use a torch on mine, but it is easy to toast your pads this way.

I would sand the rotors and use alcohol afterwards to clean em up. Usually works wonders.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info man.

I may try this. I wanted to switch to a 160mm rotor in the back to even the braking a little but have been low on funds. I might get a new rotor for Christmas so we shall see

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 8" Haye's rotor's have a minimal thickness stamped on the rotor. A call to any other maker should give a min. thickness number. I have used a hand sander to re-surface glazed / discolored bike rotors w/ great results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    My 8" Haye's rotor's have a minimal thickness stamped on the rotor. A call to any other maker should give a min. thickness number. I have used a hand sander to re-surface glazed / discolored bike rotors w/ great results.
    when compared to the original value...if you can...do you know how much is the % value of the min thickness compared to it's original value?