mtbr member
    Mar 2012

when to replace disc pads ?

Hey guys dont flame me for a noob question but when is a good time to replace my brake pads ?? i have a 2011 trek 4300 disc it has the promax hornet hydraulic disc brakes. not the best i know. but the thickness of the material left is a hair over the thickness of penny (so about 1.55 mm or so) so whous l get new pads if so what kind i know they use avid style pads

thanks guys

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Brake pads aren't typically much thicker than a penny when new, new pads for my Hope Mono 6 calipers are .08: thick, new pads for my Hayes are .075" thick. You'll want to replace them before they get down to metal. Also, typically, brake performance will drop off dramatically as the pad nears minimum thickness.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bassragerstitch View Post
    Hey guys dont flame me for a noob question but when is a good time to replace my brake pads ?? i have a 2011 trek 4300 disc it has the promax hornet hydraulic disc brakes. not the best i know. but the thickness of the material left is a hair over the thickness of penny (so about 1.55 mm or so) so whous l get new pads if so what kind i know they use avid style pads

thanks guys
    So when the brakes wear down the piston stick out farther....so they get more prone to sticky piston disease.....

When the get down to about 15% of where they started....if you ride through some tough going muddy rainy conditions you can lose that layer in a single ride....

So if you notice a lot of sticky piston problems draggy brakes, check the pads, or if you think you might get into some mud etc check the pads.....