Go Speed Racer

New question here. When to replace brake pads?

Sorry if this has already been covered (I reviewed all the threads in here and did not see anything).

I have a 2011 Giant Talon 29er 1. The brakes are Giant Root (I believe they are just re-branded Shimano Deore - anyway they use Deore pads).

I have ridden it pretty hard for about a year and a half now. Lately I have been noticing the front brake sounding a little different (not grinding). This is my first time with Disc brakes...

So, my question(s) is... How long do pads usually last, and how do you know when it is time to replace (before you damage the rotor)...

Thanks for any help!

Dennis

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bike radar has a good article on how to inspect/replace pads.

I'm on my phone and it wont allow me to link the article.

What could go wrong ...
    you should just pull the pads and look at them ... you can tell when there is little pad material left. While you have the pads out go ahead and hit them with some sandpaper to get the glaze off the surface
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered (I reviewed all the threads in here and did not see anything).

I have a 2011 Giant Talon 29er 1. The brakes are Giant Root (I believe they are just re-branded Shimano Deore - anyway they use Deore pads).

I have ridden it pretty hard for about a year and a half now. Lately I have been noticing the front brake sounding a little different (not grinding). This is my first time with Disc brakes...

So, my question(s) is... How long do pads usually last, and how do you know when it is time to replace (before you damage the rotor)...

Thanks for any help!

Dennis
    Hah really good question.....first time I changed pads I didn't plan it out so well...

I was watching the pads wear on a weekly basis, they got down to maybe 1/4 of thickness left....

Anyway that weekend we did an epic, about 60 km with three peaks, followed by a long wet cow path out.....

The mud wore the pads completely down to the metal.....The last 10 or 15 km I rode metal on metal....

So you have to predict your up coming riding conditons, and change them out sooner rather than later....

Remember you can always put the old pads back in to finish of the wear....

U $ 4 O?

They're light..

keep spare pads in your pack

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It depends on use and conditions but sounds like it is time.

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I inspected them without taking them off and the front look pretty dang close to the metal. I compared them to the back ones and there is much less pad left on the fronts. Pads will be here today or tomorrow and I am going to give it a go. Switching them out looks easy enough.

Thanks again for all the help

ventanakaz
    like member Deerhill said, brake pads are light. keep a pair or even two pair with you, this is what i do when i ride, i keep pads with me when i ride and it worked out cause on one ride my rear pads had to be replaced in mid ride. so order extra and keep them with you...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

ventanakaz
    oh i almost forgot make sure you have tools with you when on the trail so when you change out the pads u can use a screwdriver to close the cups (leave old pads in when closing cups) to get the new pads in and do this with the bike right side up not upside down...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.