pkn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

When and how to replace pads on XT hydraulic

I have Shimano XT M765 hydraulics which came stock on my 2005 Blur, purchased in December, 2004. The pads started squealing on my last ride, and it occurred to me I might need to replace them.

Regretably, I'm rather inept at wrenching on my dream bike. I thought I recalled my LBS indicated that replacing the pads was just a matter of popping them out and replacing them. To be sure, I checked the Shimano manual for replacing the pads. I then read about resetting the pistons, removing the reservoir cover, etc., I became rather nervous.

Accordingly, I'd appreciate some advice on 1) whether the pads need to be replaced; and 2) whether a mechanical moron such as myself can pull this off without risking life and limb in the process.

pkn

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Ok, here is the scoop........

What you need to do first is to check how much pad material is left on your brakes. Take the wheel off, and look at the brake pads, if they are very thin (the friction material) or are down to metal, then they need to be replaced. If they still have material left, then keep running them but keep an eye on them to watch pad wear. If they need to be replaced, all you need to do is take the wheel off (if it was on), take an allen wrench, needle nose pliers and a small flat screwdriver and do this: You will need to take the C-clip off the pad retaining bolt (be careful not to loose it, and use the screwdriver and pliers). Next, take a larger screwdriver to pry the pads apart (this resets the pistons back into the caliper, and you should not have to take the top cap off unless you are adding oil). Take the pad bolt out, and the pads can be pulled out (with the pad spring). Insert the new pads (with the spring), bolt, C-clip, then pump the lever until the pads are about 2mm apart, put your wheel back in and break your pads in (12 or so hard stops), then you are ready for more riding. It is really easy to do and if you need pics I can do the entire process for you with pics if you like.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

pkn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thank you

Pads had a good deal of material left on them - about half the thickness of the replacement pads I have. Thanks for the advice!

p